Brown wite from handbrake

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
tazla
Car(s): Mk2 3.0s stardust silver

Brown wite from handbrake

Post by tazla »

Eyup well with boredom setting in rapid i thought id take all the lower dash out to sort the wiring out /check it all as it was a right botch up when i stripped it years ago.ive got rid of a few bits and bats.soldered and shrink tubed a couple of bits so today i started to put a few things back and yep theres one wire i cant remember where it goes .its the brown wire its connected to the handbrake goes under carpet and comes out near heater box which ive had out and put back in!.the end of the wire has a connector on the end which would take a bullet connector in it.the only place for it i can see is the cig lighter but not sure.any ideas please thanks mel
tazla

Re: Brown wite from handbrake

Post by tazla »

Oh its a mk2 capri as the wirings a bit different to a mk3 i think
Capriscott
Car(s): Ford Capri Laser 2.0 9 (almost complete restoration)

Post by Capriscott »

I know you said its from a MK2 but brown wires are negatives in a MK3 and i doubt they changed their minds on the colour for a negative. This would suggest the handbrake is negatively switched.
Rumble
tazla

Post by tazla »

Mmmmm i plugged the brown wire into the glovbox terminal and when i full on the handbrake the light flashes on and off so my browns live or am i wrong.not good on electrics but at least i kno it will work when i find where it connects
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Get yourself a multimeter....testing/tracing/diagnosing 12v electrics is almost impossible without one.
tazla

Post by tazla »

Ive got one .i just dont know where i unplugged the wire.im tracking back and ive got a feeling ive trapped the connector to it behind the heater box.il have another look shortly
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Hi tazla,

It sounds like the brown cable which surfaces from the handbrake is the earth for the warning lamp system that is triggered by the, “Parking Brake Warning Switch” when the handbrake is pulled.
The system is grounded by this switch so by connecting the cable to another system you could be earthing the warning lamp independently.
This could make you think it’s live.

We have a Mk 3 - which is basically a Mk 2 in drag and it has the brown earth cable located in the transmission tunnel but it’s attached ter nowt.
Having said that, we don’t know if a previous owner simply binned a handbrake switch that wasn’t working. :python:

Stay safe.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Mel

Why don't you ask Alan Brown (Clockwork Orange) on Capri Power. He is the font of all Capri electrical knowledge and I'm sure he could help you.

Failing that, if you PM me your email address I'll scan the wiring loom out of the factory manual and send it to you.

Paul.
tazla

Post by tazla »

Cheers chaps.ive sorted it paul.i spoke to alan and he said go from the bulb at the back of clocks.and trace the brown wire .so i did and the only brown wire was going to this plug .now it threw me because the connector is a double so i never tried it.the only wire left behind dash was that .so plugged in and it onny bloody works someones been farting about somewhere along the line.its give me something to do haha.all back together now cheers
tazla

Post by tazla »

STEVEW wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:37 pm Hi tazla,

It sounds like the brown cable which surfaces from the handbrake is the earth for the warning lamp system that is triggered by the, “Parking Brake Warning Switch” when the handbrake is pulled.
The system is grounded by this switch so by connecting the cable to another system you could be earthing the warning lamp independently.
This could make you think it’s live.

We have a Mk 3 - which is basically a Mk 2 in drag and it has the brown earth cable located in the transmission tunnel but it’s attached ter nowt.
Having said that, we don’t know if a previous owner simply binned a handbrake switch that wasn’t working. :python:

Stay safe.
hi i must have been dozy git i am.all sorted many thanks
tazla

Post by tazla »

Capriscott wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:35 pm I know you said its from a MK2 but brown wires are negatives in a MK3 and i doubt they changed their minds on the colour for a negative. This would suggest the handbrake is negatively switched.
Cheers scott you are right they didnt change the colour for negative wires haha just me being thick thinking it was a live
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

It will make these jobs a lot more comfortable if you ibuy a cheap multi meter. Any cheapo one will do for most car jobs.