Cam carrier oil question

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Cam carrier oil question

Post by Major_Tom »

..so had the rocker cover off and was turning engine over on the starter the other day to check spray bar was.. spraying.. and it is. But the rear cam carrier is shooting oil in all directions. Nothing seems loose, but I don't recall it doing that before. Is it normal? HP oil pump fitted.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Cam carrier oil question

Post by stevemarl »

Bearing on way out?
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Dont know :lol: could be but wouldnt it whine or rattle? I will whip the cover off again tomorrow and explore further. When on the starter a squirt shoots up from the rear carrier onto the bulkhead.. but of course without a very long arm its impossible to see exactly where its coming from.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Cam bearings on pintos are a weak point , specially if you have a lumpy cam and mountain man valve springs . Sounds like a bit of clearance round that rear journal/bearing . While you cant get the cam out with the head on ,as it goes out toward the rear ,if you slacken off all the valve clearance you can move the camshaft back far enough to get a butchers at the cam journal surface and , with an inspection mirror or a flexi camera ( you can get usb powered ones that just plug into your phone or laptop ) you can see the bearing surface . The bearing should have a groove round its surface , if you eyeball the groove as depth gauge you may see that the bearing is worn at the top. Surprizing how obvious the wear is . The centre bearing is usually the worst . Good luck
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Mc Tool wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:31 pm Cam bearings on pintos are a weak point , specially if you have a lumpy cam and mountain man valve springs . Sounds like a bit of clearance round that rear journal/bearing . While you cant get the cam out with the head on ,as it goes out toward the rear ,if you slacken off all the valve clearance you can move the camshaft back far enough to get a butchers at the cam journal surface and , with an inspection mirror or a flexi camera ( you can get usb powered ones that just plug into your phone or laptop ) you can see the bearing surface . The bearing should have a groove round its surface , if you eyeball the groove as depth gauge you may see that the bearing is worn at the top. Surprizing how obvious the wear is . The centre bearing is usually the worst . Good luck
Thanks man good info. Indeed have rally cam and stronger springs but not duplex or anything. Will let you know how things go.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

This is info I read in a pinto hot up book ,
IMG_20200410_095752.jpg
IMG_20200410_095833.jpg
The author talks about the fitting of bronze bearings and even converting to needle rollers.
Both books are a must for anyone tweaking their pinto. There are pinto specific porting directions and pix ( I bet Nick has both books :D ). The porting book can be quite technical , and it also covers the needs of the home tweaker with basic improvements any one can do . Probly the best money you could spend on your motor :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Mc Tool wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:10 pm This is info I read in a pinto hot up book , IMG_20200410_095752.jpgIMG_20200410_095833.jpg.
The author talks about the fitting of bronze bearings and even converting to needle rollers.
Both books are a must for anyone tweaking their pinto. There are pinto specific porting directions and pix ( I bet Nick has both books :D ). The porting book can be quite technical , and it also covers the needs of the home tweaker with basic improvements any one can do . Probly the best money you could spend on your motor :D
Sacred texts.. the Holy books.. written by the messiah himself! Good advice my man thanks.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Don't Know
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

For the sake of what it costs and getting into the realms of bearings and engine tuning, why don't you just try a new spray bar. They're meant to be changed every now and again anyway.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

340truck wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:21 amDon't Know
:lol:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Paul G wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:14 pm For the sake of what it costs and getting into the realms of bearings and engine tuning, why don't you just try a new spray bar. They're meant to be changed every now and again anyway.
It seems to be spraying normally, but yes, why not, been on for 10 years the current one.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Paul G wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:14 pm For the sake of what it costs and getting into the realms of bearings and engine tuning, why don't you just try a new spray bar. They're meant to be changed every now and again anyway.
Oh I forgot to say, thanks Paul, you were right, changed the spray bar and it stopped! Thanks mate saved me a lot of time and effort that simple bit of good advice.