Rear Window Heater

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Capriscott
Car(s): Ford Capri Laser 2.0 9 (almost complete restoration)

Rear Window Heater

Post by Capriscott »

Hi all, i am trying to get my rear heater working.

I have tested my relay and all works fine.

When I press my switch nothing seems to happen and the relay does not click in and out.

Any ideas from the relay as to where the wires go? and where they should join?

Thanks
Rumble
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: Rear Window Heater

Post by Major_Tom »

Capriscott wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:37 pm Hi all, i am trying to get my rear heater working.

I have tested my relay and all works fine.

When I press my switch nothing seems to happen and the relay does not click in and out.

Any ideas from the relay as to where the wires go? and where they should join?

Thanks
So you tested the relay off the car and it clicks right? But with it installed, it does not?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Capriscott

Post by Capriscott »

Yes the relay works fine and I have 12v on the brown/yellow wire. I'm guessing the black/red is the negative but I am struggling to find where that goes. The other two wires are the heavies for the heater itself.

Am I correct that the black/red wire is the negative?
Rumble
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

I'm going to assume you have already checked the fuse?
Have you tried popping the switch out, unplugging it and simply putting a wire across the two sockets on the plug?
If this works it's a simple switch change.
Capriscott

Post by Capriscott »

The fuse is all good. I have temporarily put in different switch which I know works.

Guess I'm just asking if anyone has an accurate wiring diagram of this system.
Rumble
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I've found this website very helpful for wiring diagrams

http://www.a400mod.com/Fuses.htm
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

How did you test the relay? Dont assume that because it clicks its ok ,if the contacts are fried it will click but not actually flow any juice to the heater. So ya have to test them under load ( volt drop test is easiest ). My heater is knackered , only about half the horizontal strands are intact ,. This is significant as if your used to testing the resistance or current flowing thru an element its usually all or nothing ,however each strand in a screen heater element is effectivley a resistance in parallal ,when some strands break it changes resistance and current flow ( I dont want to get into calculating resistances in parallal now ). I guess Im saying that if you get weird readings on your meter its probly just a half puckerood element
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Post by Allan mcl »

Where abouts is the hew relay located and how do you test it.when I press the switch I can hear a click but the light does not come on,I have renewed the bulb and replaced the switch any ideas.
Cheers Allan.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Its up under the right hand side of the dash,further forward of the bonnet release ,on the inside of the inner guard. Gotta watch too coz some relays have the same pin pattern but are wired different inside and cannot be used , this tripped me up while I was sussin my heater operation ,I think there is also a relay for the rear fog lights. Someone wired my fogs to work as extra brake lights , probly coz our fog lamps are usually on the front and I think our rule makers decided you cant have extra bright tail lamp as peeps would confuse them as brake lights, just what harm that could do I dont know.
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Post by Allan mcl »

Thanks for that, checked relay all was fine,found the problem with the wire that feeds the light connection had broken inside the bullet connection.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Result :cool:
Capriscott

Post by Capriscott »

Sorry this is late but what I didn't realise is that it is negatively switched. So the the brown and the brown/yellow sends a negative feed to the coil of the relay.

The heater now works and all is good. Thanks everyone for your input
Rumble