Oily Sparks

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Oily Sparks

Post by D366Y »

Afternoon!!

Since I'm stuck at home I've finally had time to look at the laser - while driving it last it started making a horrible noise then cut out and refused to start again.
Took the rocker cover off and one of the valve followers (think exhaust) on the 4th piston had just fallen off. I've re-fitted it again, gapped all the valve clearances, cleaned all the spark plugs up etc. but it was still running a bit shit so I bought new sparks.

Took out the old sparks today and 1,2,3 are all sort of what I'd expected - old but cleaned up, but 4 case caked in oil.
Accordingly to the gospel of Haynes (or his book of lies depending how much you use it :lol:) this could be worn piston rings or valve guides. Seeing as the valve follower fell off I'm tempted to believe it's a valve issue but just wanted to ask how much should I be changing over, what parts should I be replacing while I'm there anyways etc?

As always your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: Oily Sparks

Post by Major_Tom »

In mine it was an oil control ring :( got a compression tester?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Major_Tom wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:29 pm In mine it was an oil control ring :( got a compression tester?
I do not.... Are they easy to get hold off?
Attachments
IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0204.JPG
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

That looks like leaking rocker cover gasket to me
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

When my oil control ring went, the whole nose was oily, black and flaking and it wouldn't spark. That looks fine!
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Hello D336Y,

I second what Major-Tom is suggesting.
You need to check the compression before making a decision.
They're not difficult to use.

Stay healthy.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

That plug is fine....there is oil leaking from the rocker cover or elsewhere onto it. It is not an internal engine problem causing THAT oiliness.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

This seems like good news!!
Thank you for replying - will get a get rocker gasket and see if that does the trick.

About the actual valve follower falling off... Any ideas on why it would decide to do that? Shall I just adjust the valve clearances again, tighten it up and leave it?

Thanks
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

What happened to the spring clip that holds it on?
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

D366Y wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:10 am
Thank you for replying - will get a get rocker gasket and see if that does the trick.
If it was leaking wouldn't you see it dribbling down though (insert carry on joke, yak yak yak)
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

pbar wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:11 pm
D366Y wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:10 am
If it was leaking wouldn't you see it dribbling down though (insert carry on joke, yak yak yak)
Dwayne Dribbly?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

I would have thought I would have seen it as well but I will bow to Truck and Tom's superior knowledge!

The spring clip thing that holds the follower on was still there, but when I set the valve clearances it seemed quite loose so not sure if the spring/clip whatever is just a bit loose/old and needs replacing?

Cheers
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

My spring clips wobble a tiny bit from side to side. Once I replaced them with heavy duty ones.. they were much more secure. But then half of one of them turned up in my oil sump (magnetic sump plugs are worth it) so went back to standard. Think they need to have a bit of springiness, but perhaps yours have too much springiness and must be replaced?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Major_Tom wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:26 pm My spring clips wobble a tiny bit from side to side. Once I replaced them with heavy duty ones.. they were much more secure. But then half of one of them turned up in my oil sump (magnetic sump plugs are worth it) so went back to standard. Think they need to have a bit of springiness, but perhaps yours have too much springiness and must be replaced?
Yeah that's sort of what I'm thinking... Will stalk the internet for some new ones and see what they do
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

D366Y wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:06 pm Yeah that's sort of what I'm thinking... Will stalk the internet for some new ones and see what they do
Burton Power are still open. Stalk them... from the safety of the thicket.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Incidentally I have now seen the thread title a sufficient number of times that a character has been created in my processing subroutines called "Olly Sparks" bit of a creep.. bit oily.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Major_Tom wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:42 pm a character has been created in my processing subroutines called "Olly Sparks" bit of a creep.. bit oily.
I have a feeling I'm shortly going to regret asking this, but what sort of situations do you imagine Mr Sparks finding himself getting in? :)

Andrew.
Olly Sparks
Car(s): 1987 Capri 3.0S Brooklands

Post by Olly Sparks »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:40 am
Major_Tom wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:42 pm a character has been created in my processing subroutines called "Olly Sparks" bit of a creep.. bit oily.
I have a feeling I'm shortly going to regret asking this, but what sort of situations do you imagine Mr Sparks finding himself getting in? :)

Andrew.
Being an accomplished cad and pervert, many situations involving fornication and alcohol and beasts.
Last edited by Olly Sparks on Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

D366Y wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:00 pm I would have thought I would have seen it as well but I will bow to Truck and Tom's superior knowledge!

The spring clip thing that holds the follower on was still there, but when I set the valve clearances it seemed quite loose so not sure if the spring/clip whatever is just a bit loose/old and needs replacing?

Cheers
Had exactly the same issue, albeit about 25 years ago. :?

The hardened surface of the cam follower had worn due to the spray bar being blocked. They seem to be made softer than the cam, probably to save that from excessive wear. On mine, it was concave instead of the convex curve it should have been.
So I would be getting that cover off and checking every single follower for wear.
The fact it is near the far end of the spray bar suggests the bar is filling up with crud and the holes are blocking from the ends first, given that the oil enters the bar in the middle.
If you are not already changing the spray bar at regular intervals then start doing that now.
If you are already changing the spray bar then you need to start asking yourself where the crud has come from to block it.

One final point, block all the oil drain holes in the head before you undo the spray bar bolts. They fit perfectly down the holes if you drop them. Ask me how I know!!!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Mr Sparks
Welcome to the forum. :lol:
Olly Sparks wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:41 am Being an accomplished cad and pervert, many situations involving fornication and alcohol and beasts.
You can leave out the beasts, but debauched tales of fornication, alcohol and breasts would be most welcome.

Andrew.