When did the "S" become a Laser?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Re: When did the "S" become a Laser?

Post by nigecapri »

I used to have a book on Capris that iirc said that the S suspension was very slightly uprated from standard pinto specs. I lent the book to the guy I got the black S from & he lost it - or his wifey binned it.
Not in any way biased here but the S in black was/is always the best for bodywork. When a customer ordered one in black the factory QC bloke (I'm confident it would not have been a woman) checked the available white cars, picked out the one with the best paint finish & sent it back through to be resprayed in black. Only the transmission tunnel underneath was left white.
Both mine have single leaves under the back.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Oh its a joke isnt it.. when did the S become a Laser?

In the multileaf spring of 1984.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Confession time - I was wrong. Just looked under mine and that's got single leafs as well!

Funny really as my 1981 3.0 S has multi -leaves but I hasten to add that will not be for much longer.
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Post by Arnoldhar »

nigecapri wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:19 pm I used to have a book on Capris that iirc said that the S suspension was very slightly uprated from standard pinto specs. I lent the book to the guy I got the black S from & he lost it - or his wifey binned it.
Not in any way biased here but the S in black was/is always the best for bodywork. When a customer ordered one in black the factory QC bloke (I'm confident it would not have been a woman) checked the available white cars, picked out the one with the best paint finish & sent it back through to be resprayed in black. Only the transmission tunnel underneath was left white.
Both mine have single leaves under the back.
I believe that to be true about a black ordered S, back in late 78 you could only get a black mk3 as an S when I had mine Soda blasted under the bonnet and underside the guy said to me was this car white once, and the leaf springs were up rated as I ordered new ones years ago and again they were a special order