Crank case breather valve

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Rosetti
Car(s): Ford Capri laser 2.0

Crank case breather valve

Post by Rosetti »

I think that's what it's called. Tube from the crank case to a 4 inch cylinder attached to inside of wing. Been giving me ignition probs.so I'm guessing it's a valve. Any clues for a new/2nd hand one? [email protected]
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Re: Crank case breather valve

Post by Not_Anumber »

It sounds like someone has added an aftermarket catch tank. Can you post some photos ?

Also can you describe how it is interfering with the ignition Is the vacuum advance to the distributor fed from this rather than from the carb/ inlet manifold ?
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

The standard crankcase breather on the Laser looks like this on the engine block -

Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

is that a 205 block i just spotted ? Best of the bunch they were
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Not_Anumber wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:55 pm is that a 205 block i just spotted ? Best of the bunch they were
:roll: why do you think he took the pic from that angle :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

That is a 205 block yes, although it is a pic off the internet, not mine.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Well, I was thinking it was looking a bit unloved, which surprised me a bit , :) pleased to hear its not yours :)
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Rosetti wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:58 pm I think that's what it's called. Tube from the crank case to a 4 inch cylinder attached to inside of wing. Been giving me ignition probs.so I'm guessing it's a valve. Any clues for a new/2nd hand one? [email protected]
The crankcase breather / PCV valve should not have a pipe going to a remote pot but should be connected to the inlet manifold to allow the engine to burn the excess crankcase gasses.

The breather system shouldn't have any effect on your timing.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Op said about a tube going to a cylinder on inner wing ......could be a ht lead going to the coil ......"been giving me ignition problems" .....yes ? ....no? :?
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Mc Tool wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:49 pm Op said about a tube going to a cylinder on inner wing ......could be a ht lead going to the coil ......"been giving me ignition problems" .....yes ? ....no? :?
He did say it was a tube from crankcase to cylinder on wing though. But youre right, 4in cylinder on wing + ignition problems + no photos × no replies = more info required.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

I fear we may never hear the full saga unfold as Mr Rossetti seems determined to be a 1 post wonder.

Asks a question but doesnt want to hang around the forum for long enough to hear any answers. :banghead:
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Coronovirus has got him :lol:
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.