Page 1 of 3

Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:44 am
by D366Y
Morning guys,

Annoyingly my windscreen has decided to crack itself overnight - probably something to do with these endless storms!

Anyway, my question is, is this considered to be within the driver's eyeline/sight for an MOT test?
I had an old Fiat Panda for years that had a huge crack from the bottom corner of the screen across most of the window but as it was on the passenger side they said it was out of my eyeline and therefore not a fail. This one stops just where the wipers stop wiping on the drivers side so I'm hoping that's considered out of my sight enough for an MOT....??

Only because it's due next month and I don't really want to have to rush around trying to get one sorted when previous readings have suggested it can be a ballache (and expensive!) to buy and fit a new one - but on that note if anyone knows where I can get one please let me know!

Cheers
Danny

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:53 am
by pbar
You may be ok with that Danny.

Image

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:15 am
by D366Y
That's a very handy picture there Paul where did you find that?
Assuming the 290mm is centred on the steering wheel then I think I should be fine if that's the case

Cheers

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:53 am
by pbar
I just googled windscreen crack mot. All the images seem to say the same thing, and as you say seems to be centred on the steering wheel.

Image

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:13 am
by Bug
Because I'm an eternal pessimist I would say that it's probably ok right now, but is very likely to propagate by the time you get to the MOT and therefore may well become a fail.
does your insurance not cover it all bar the excess (usually around £75)?
I know I've been Capri-less for a while, but I wondered if the likes of Autoglass etc still supply screens?

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:37 am
by stevemarl
How would that happen, any ideas?

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:54 am
by Bug
stevemarl wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:37 am
How would that happen, any ideas?
I assume this is a wind up at my expense?

Just in case it's not, I looked at the pictures again to be sure I hadn't missed the fact that the crack had reached the edge at both ends.
Can't see that it has, so I stand by my thoughts that it is possible it will propagate with every bump on the road, and potentially with large changes in temperature too. Sods Law states that it will move into the 'fail' zone.
I realise the Capri windscreen is not a stressed component as in many modern cars, but over the years I've seen enough creep along to justify my pessimism.
If the MOT is in 9 months time then the crack will stay as it is for the first 8 months and 3 weeks.
If it is in 3 weeks time then the crack will not move for 2 weeks. ;)

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:18 pm
by stevemarl
Bug wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:54 am
I assume this is a wind up at my expense?
No, Martin, I DIDN`T mean yuour comment about the crack spreading (your right it probably will) - I meant any idea how it just spontaneously appeared overnight! I was unclear, sorry for misunderstanding.

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:24 pm
by D366Y
My guess is that the car has decided it hates me and wants to empty my wallet as much as possible so decided to spontaneously crack!

I didn't even think about insurance - might give them a buzz but considering all insurance companies are complete scam artists I'm not sure I want to :lol:

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:31 pm
by stevemarl
D366Y wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:24 pm
My guess is that the car has decided it hates me and wants to empty my wallet as much as possibl
I know the feeling, cars, computers, most household appliances, they only exist to cause you grief and keep the cash flowing outwards!

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:52 pm
by Bug
Bug wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:54 am
stevemarl wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:37 am
How would that happen, any ideas?
I assume this is a wind up at my expense?

Just in case it's not, I looked at the pictures again to be sure I hadn't missed the fact that the crack had reached the edge at both ends.
Can't see that it has, so I stand by my thoughts that it is possible it will propagate with every bump on the road, and potentially with large changes in temperature too. Sods Law states that it will move into the 'fail' zone.
I realise the Capri windscreen is not a stressed component as in many modern cars, but over the years I've seen enough creep along to justify my pessimism.
If the MOT is in 9 months time then the crack will stay as it is for the first 8 months and 3 weeks.
If it is in 3 weeks time then the crack will not move for 2 weeks. ;)
Oh sorry mate!
Having a crap day at work and just added you to my list of rants.

Sincerest apologies for the misunderstanding

Was a bit confused and doubtful, hence the attempt to inject some humour too. ;)

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:00 pm
by D366Y
stevemarl wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:31 pm
D366Y wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:24 pm
My guess is that the car has decided it hates me and wants to empty my wallet as much as possible
I know the feeling, cars, computers, most household appliances, they only exist to cause you grief and keep the cash flowing outwards!
Tell me about it! Having three capris I seem to be a glutton for punishment as well - what was I thinking?? :lol:

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:52 pm
by stevemarl
Bug wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:13 am
I know I've been Capri-less for a while, but I wondered if the likes of Autoglass etc still supply screens?
Don`t know about Autoglass, but if not, Pilkingtons still have a facility which will make a screen for virtually any car ever made. Amazed this is still going but it seems so:
`Every glass Pilkington Classics manufacture is handmade to a customer’s specific order. In some cases we craft the glass on the original tooling so it’s identical to the original windscreen and we can still supply it with the original trademark including Triplex & Sigla.`

https://www.pilkington.com/en-gb/uk/aut ... odels/ford

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:06 pm
by Allan mcl
Hi Steve,
Had mine replaced late last year by auto windscreen through insurance. They did bring the wrong one first as it had a patch on it for the mirror to stick on. One week later got the correct one brown tint for a laser only cost £75xs hope that this helps.
Cheers Allan

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:28 pm
by stevemarl
Cheers, that`s useful to know, especially that they do the correct tint as well. Thanks! No idea of price if you were just to buy outright, i.e. no insurance? (I only ask because the Fiat`s screen has loads of tiny specs, gritter chips I guess, plus a couple of scratches where the previous owner didn`t bother replacing a wiper blade. Makes driving at night `challenging` s)o a new one would be tempting)

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:35 pm
by brooky
Hi

I had mine done by autoglass, they had them available straight away in the different tints and with or without sun visor strip, only thing you have to make sure is that they get a new seal as well as mine was too perished so had to wait a day for them to get a new one.

Same as the other post, £75 paid to autoglass, they then processed rest direct with insurance company assuming yours has windscreen cover. Some insurance companies have their own preference of who you use so worth checking with them first.

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:56 pm
by tejb1
A couple of years ago I got a chip sorted in mine, the glass place checked availability of new screens for me, out of interest. They could get one next day from their warehouse if needed, and said that the specialist pilkingtons service mentioned upthread was available and would cost no more than the excess - which I did not think was bad at all.

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:28 pm
by stevemarl
Thanks for your replies, very helpful.

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:22 am
by Mc Tool
stevemarl wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:31 pm
D366Y wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:24 pm
My guess is that the car has decided it hates me and wants to empty my wallet as much as possibl
I know the feeling, cars, computers, most household appliances, they only exist to cause you grief and keep the cash flowing outwards!
Nah , the exist to distract your attention while your wife also plunders the coffers. :lol:

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:40 am
by D366Y
Thanks for all the replies guys - very helpful!
Will buzz the insurers today and see if I can get it sorted through Autoglass or Pilkingtons then

When I came back to the car yesterday after a whole day in the office and the car not moving, the crack had decided to get larger as well so that's good :roll: