Windscreen Cracked

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Windscreen Cracked

Post by pbar »

You know Danny, yet again your resistance to adversity is superb. I am not one for swearing, but I think if I went out to my Capri and saw a new crack on the windscreen then I dread to think what I'd be saying and what I'd be typing on here, it would be far worse than your gentle opening gambit of 'Annoyingly my windscreen has decided to crack'.

You defintely have that old school British fighting spirit/never say die/have a cup of tea and get on with it. I'd certainly want you on my side when facing a problem.

If everyone of your generation had your mindset then the country would be in fine shape. Hope you sort it as painlessly as possible. Best of luck.
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi all,
I’ve been following this with interest, as I just had to get a screen myself, I had the new seal from East Kent, but the only screen we could find was a Pilkington one, zero tint with the dreaded mirror pad in the middle.
It fits a dream (small screen due to sunroof) and the car ain’t misting up inside anymore when parking up, nor is the passenger footwell getting wet, so except for the missing tint I am happy with this, but I was just wondering Mark. How long since you got the quote from Autoglass for any tint etc???
All interesting stuff Danny and best of luck with your hunt. Cheers,

John...

P.S. still on for next week end Mark?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:57 pm You know Danny, yet again your resistance to adversity is superb. I am not one for swearing, but I think if I went out to my Capri and saw a new crack on the windscreen then I dread to think what I'd be saying and what I'd be typing on here, it would be far worse than your gentle opening gambit of 'Annoyingly my windscreen has decided to crack'.

You definitely have that old school British fighting spirit/never say die/have a cup of tea and get on with it. I'd certainly want you on my side when facing a problem.

If everyone of your generation had your mindset then the country would be in fine shape. Hope you sort it as painlessly as possible. Best of luck.
Thanks Paul, I appreciate the kind words! Don't get me wrong there were a few expletives thrown about when I went out and saw it but it'd already happened and I can't change that so figured there's not much point in crying over spilt milk, what's done is done!

Not sure I can stomach having a cup of tea but gimme a pint and I'll get on with it :beer:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

D366Y wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:07 am
pbar wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:57 pm You know Danny, yet again your resistance to adversity is superb. I am not one for swearing, but I think if I went out to my Capri and saw a new crack on the windscreen then I dread to think what I'd be saying and what I'd be typing on here, it would be far worse than your gentle opening gambit of 'Annoyingly my windscreen has decided to crack'.

You definitely have that old school British fighting spirit/never say die/have a cup of tea and get on with it. I'd certainly want you on my side when facing a problem.

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the kind words! Don't get me wrong there were a few expletives thrown about when I went out and saw it but it'd already happened and I can't change that so figured there's not much point in crying over spilt milk, what's done is done!

Not sure I can stomach having a cup of tea but gimme a pint and I'll get on with it :beer:
I did read in classic car and guitars weekly ,that playing Wham CDs and jamming along to the catchy tune can damage a windscreen . :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
mgentry90
Car(s): Fiesta, laser ( under modification )

Post by mgentry90 »

Jasonmarie wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:43 am
D366Y wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:07 am

I did read in classic car and guitars weekly ,that playing Wham CDs and jamming along to the catchy tune can damage a windscreen . :lol:
And a mans reputation
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

mgentry90 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:50 pm
And a mans reputation
Luckily I don't have a good one anyways :lol:
Called the insurance, they'll sort it for £75 as suggested so fingers crossed that gets fixed soon!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

D366Y wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:36 pm
mgentry90 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:50 pm
And a mans reputation
Luckily I don't have a good one anyways :lol:
Called the insurance, they'll sort it for £75 as suggested so fingers crossed that gets fixed soon!
That’s good Dan , keep us posted .
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Good luck Danny,
It will be interesting to see if they can supply a screen with the required tint.

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:41 pm Good luck Danny,
It will be interesting to see if they can supply a screen with the required tint.

Andrew.
They asked me whether it was tinted to be honest and I don't have a clue - how would I know?

Cheers
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:42 pm They asked me whether it was tinted to be honest and I don't have a clue - how would I know?
Is it for the Laser?
I think it would have had green tinted glass.

Andrew.
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hey Danny,

Best of luck fella, hope you have better luck than I just did...

To check your tint, get a sheet of A4 white paper, open the door and put the sheet half behind the screen and the other half outside, the outside is white the inside will show the actual colour of the tint, which can sometimes shock people!!! All the best Danny, cheers,

John...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

It's actually for the GL but that's a handy way of checking John so I'll try it later!
I'd guess it doesn't have a tint....?? :?

Makes no difference to me, glass it glass, as long as it stops the rain hitting my face I'm fine :lol:
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Post by brooky »

Hi John,

I had mine done about 3 years ago and they did offer different tints and one with the sun visor strip across the top, I think the 280 was a green tint.

Sent you a PM about the weekend, just let me know whats best for you

Mark
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Now I've checked mine it looks like a bronze tint.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes when me and nick were at Tickover lastyear they did the A4 paper trick like young John mention and we both have a bronze tinted glass .
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

:P
D366Y wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:07 am but it'd already happened and I can't change that so figured there's not much point in crying over spilt milk, what's done is done!
Pretty much my take on negative things. Stress will kill you faster than most things and there is simply no reason to be stressing over things you cant change . I believe that the quicker you suck it up and begin to remedy the situation the better off you are , for example , you can view the screen repair process as a positive thing ( contacting repairer ,dropping off and picking up car with new screen ) that ends in success . Bit like winning at cards, face the challenge ,overcome and collect reward ,when you loose ,take the hit and move on to the next hand . :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Mc Tool wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:01 am
Pretty much my take on negative things. Stress will kill you faster than most things and there is simply no reason to be stressing over things you cant change . I believe that the quicker you suck it up and begin to remedy the situation the better off you are , for example , you can view the screen repair process as a positive thing ( contacting repairer ,dropping off and picking up car with new screen ) that ends in success . Bit like winning at cards, face the challenge ,overcome and collect reward ,when you loose ,take the hit and move on to the next hand . :)
I like that post. I like it a lot.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

pbar wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:29 am
Mc Tool wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:01 am
I like that post. I like it a lot.
I did but h has not met my “ Mother in law “ :doh: :lol:
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Jasonmarie wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:04 pm Yes when me and nick were at Tickover lastyear they did the A4 paper trick like young John mention and we both have a bronze tinted glass .
I may be wrong but I believe Lasers, Injections and 280s all had bronze tinted glass all round.

I had some base models over the years that were plain.

The only one I ever had a green tint in was a Mk2 2.0 Ghia. Even then I only found out when I dropped the tailgate and the toughened glass shattered. Every single one of the two million pieces looked very green! And I was reminded of this fact for months afterwards as I found more bits of it!
And no, I never did find a green replacement back window. I was lucky to be running mine years ago when people couldn't wait to give me their 'scrappers' for 50 quid. So I had about 8 or 9 replacement tailgates in a lockup. I just swapped the whole thing over. Those were the days. ;)
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Update!

Got to the garage this morning to have the windscreen changed, had barely stepped out of the car and they'd already realised they had the wrong screen.

Mine is bronze tint, they had clear, and they had a rear-view mirror pad on the windscreen when it's on the roof anyways. They then told me that Pilkingtons apparently no longer make the correct screen (ie, bronzed and without rear-view pad) so I'll have to try and sort one myself if I want to have it changed.

Cheesed off doesn't quite cover it! :banghead: :swear: