Heater repairs Mk2 GL

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Heater repairs Mk2 GL

Post by D366Y »

Had a busy Monday morning in my home office after bank holiday.... :whistle:

Made up the resistor board yesterday out of some spare aluminium that was laying about in the garage, drilled two holes, soldered the wires on and then just lost interest yesterday so came back to it this morning.

The new motor turns off a 9V battery which is good, and it works on full speed on my resistor, but don't think there's enough juice through the resistor to turn it - it feels like it wants to go but doesn't have to the power to turn it... will have to see when I get some more time and can test it on a proper battery
IMG_0315.JPG
IMG_0317.JPG
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

A pp9 is only designed to give 10s of mA, (0.01A) 100s at a pinch, but a motor like that needs several amps esp at start up, so there`s no way it will work with the resistor as well. A 12v lead acid battery and it will be fine. Looks a neat job, but personally I`d have put grommets in the Aluminium just in case vibration could wear away the insulation. You could put a blob of silicone around wires to secure them? Having said that, I probably worry too much, it`ll be fine.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

stevemarl wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:36 pm A pp9 is only designed to give 10s of mA, (0.01A) 100s at a pinch, but a motor like that needs several amps esp at start up, so there`s no way it will work with the resistor as well. A 12v lead acid battery and it will be fine. Looks a neat job, but personally I`d have put grommets in the Aluminium just in case vibration could wear away the insulation. You could put a blob of silicone around wires to secure them? Having said that, I probably worry too much, it`ll be fine.
That was just a dry run to make sure it all worked before I put the whole thing together properly - I've put some heat shrink over the wires now and inserted it through the aluminium to make sure they don't rub so that's nice and tight now.

About to start putting the whole box back together, just need to make sure I get the resistor the right way round in the box now! :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.