mk 1 bonnett

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
chris_v888
Car(s): pontiac formula 400 (restoration project)

mk 1 bonnett

Post by chris_v888 »

hi giys dose anyone know if a mk bonnett fits a mk 3 thanks
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: mk 1 bonnett

Post by stevemarl »

Very unlikely as the Mk3 leading edge has a different profile, coming down over the lghts? Maybe you could make it fit but it would look wrong.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Mk1 bonnet on a Mk3 - not without lots of modification as they are different panels with different dimensions. I think the Mk1 bonnet would be longer.

Are you asking because you know of a Mk 1 bonnet going cheap and you need a Mk 3 bonnet or are you trying to achieve a different style look on a Mk3 ? Either would need a lot of fabricating.

Elsewhere: A Mk1 facelift bonnet will go fine on a Mk1 non facelift. A Mk 1 non facelift bonnet should be ok on a kent engined Mk 1 facelift but youd have to check clearance for a pinto engine or a V4. forget it for a V6 as the non facelift Mk1 V6 had the bonnet bulge for a reason.

A Mk2 bonnet will fit a Mk3 but will just expose the tops of the headlights (like a US spec Mk2) and the front of the wings sit further forward than on a Mk2
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Did bonnet bulges come in different sizes . Just that Im picking up here that a 2l mk3 shouldnt have a bulge but mine has. The po fitted a ramflow filter ( I hate them ,the foam shrinks and leaves a gap between the edge of the foam and filter base fir unfiltered air to get in ) which rubs on the sound deadening so it needs the bulge . Just wondering ,rover v8 with 4 barrel and air cleaner fits under it good :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

All the mk3 bonnets had bulges in - even the 1.3 :lol: I think mk1 was the only time that some came with bulges and some without
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Mc Tool wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:58 pm Did bonnet bulges come in different sizes . Just that Im picking up here that a 2l mk3 shouldnt have a bulge but mine has. The po fitted a ramflow filter ( I hate them ,the foam shrinks and leaves a gap between the edge of the foam and filter base fir unfiltered air to get in ) which rubs on the sound deadening so it needs the bulge . Just wondering ,rover v8 with 4 barrel and air cleaner fits under it good :)
All Mk3 bonnets were the same with a bulge and it was essentially the same as a MK2 just shaped a little differently over the headlights.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Cool , thanks for that peter s . My uncle bought the car new in the uk in 1980 and bought it here in 1987 and I bought it from him in 2110 . Im wanting to fit the rv8 and that bulge sure makes that easier. I also like the idea that there is something appropriate under that power bulge :)
chris_v888
Car(s): pontiac formula 400 (restoration project)

Post by chris_v888 »

erm my first car sorry my first ledale car at 17 long time ago lolwas a 3.0 liter mk1 and it had the big bolge in bonnet and just wonderd ij it eould fit but it sounds like a big no so it may have to have a think as ill have to find old rotton bonnett with the boulge that i could mess around with? thank you all if anyone has a mk1 big boulge thay would like to sell or donate to see what i can make out of it i would apreasheate it thanks again
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Most engines will fit in a standard mk3 with the standard mk3 bonnet, Rover v8, Ford v6, Cosworths etc.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Yeah depth wise there is a fair bit of room , but it dont need to be any tighter length and width before you have to start moving things round a bit
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Dont forget there are plenty of Capris with the noticeably taller 2.9 Cosworth engine that retain the standard Mk3 bonnet, just with a minor modification to one of the under bonnet cross ribs, completely normal from the outside.

There are also enough V8 conversions running standard bonnets. The last car I heard had any issue with engine height used the late 4 litre US version of the Cologne v6 (e.g used in the V6 version of the previous model Mustang) and that was worked around by using a modified crossmember to sit the engine lower but kept the original bonnet.