Weber ICH manual choke operation?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
sierra3dr
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri Cabaret 1.6,Ford Cortina MK5,1992 Ford Sierra Coupe,1988 Ford Sierra Coupe.Ford Sierra XR4i

Weber ICH manual choke operation?

Post by sierra3dr »

Hello all,since I'm used to cars with auto choke,so I'm not too sure what the manual choke operates. The only function I can see,is that it shuts the choke valve,to enrichen the mixture,by reducing the air volume. Does it also control additional fuel supply?
thanks
Paul
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Weber ICH manual choke operation?

Post by pbar »

It is exactly as you describe, less air to the mixture when closed. Slowly opening up to allow more air in as the car warms, until no choke is needed.
sierra3dr
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri Cabaret 1.6,Ford Cortina MK5,1992 Ford Sierra Coupe,1988 Ford Sierra Coupe.Ford Sierra XR4i

Post by sierra3dr »

Thanks pbar. I know the dgav when throttle is pressed from cold, the valves shut and squirts a bit of fuel. On my Capri being with an ICH carb, with the choke out from cold start, it cuts out.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

sierra3dr wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:26 pm the valves shut and squirts a bit of fuel. On my Capri being with an ICH carb, with the choke out from cold start, it cuts out.
The squirt of fuel is just the accelerator pump, this squirts every time the throttle is opened. If your ICH is not doing this it could explain why mixture is weak and cutting out. If you look down the choke and move the throttle, can you not see (and hear) a squirt?