How to remove glass

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Post Reply
Stanspeedautocare
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:01 pm
Car(s): Mk3 capri 2.0 lazer

How to remove glass

Post by Stanspeedautocare » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:13 pm

Only me . Can I have some advice on removing front and rear glass . Also the trims around the rear side windows . Do I just drill the 2 rivits and they come off or do I take the inner panels off to reveal more .. also is the windscreen available new . Mk 3 2l laser

tejb1
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:12 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6L (weekend/holidays)

Re: How to remove glass

Post by tejb1 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:07 pm

I believe that windscreens are still available. I had a chip repaired a couple of years ago and, out of curiosity, the chap looked up the availability on their system. They could get one next day if required in a number of different tints etc. Apparently, even if they ever do run out of stock entirely, the jigs are kept available so that a custom one could be manufactured if required.

Paul G
Posts: 1384
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:21 pm
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Fiesta mK2 pop plus, Skoda Octavia VRS,
Location: High Wycombe

Re: How to remove glass

Post by Paul G » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:49 am

Stanspeedautocare wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:13 pm
Only me . Can I have some advice on removing front and rear glass . Also the trims around the rear side windows . Do I just drill the 2 rivits and they come off or do I take the inner panels off to reveal more .. also is the windscreen available new . Mk 3 2l laser
The front screen is the only glass held in place by a conventional rubber. To remove the screen I would suggest you get the help of an assistant and cut the rubber around the glass to remove it rather than trying to save the rubber. New rubbers are relatively inexpensive and a lot less than a screen.

For the rear side windows you will have to drill out the rivets to remove the screen surrounds and you will have to remove all the internal surrounds as well. The rear windows are bonded into the car and you will have to cut round the edge of the screen both sides to remove it. Special tools are available to do this such as the one in the link below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Windscre ... Swdzxdw-M7

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-7pcs-wind ... Swq3xdEDon

The tailgate glass is also bonded, remove the rubber trims then that can be removed as above, being careful around the wiring contact points for the heated window.

Caprigear
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2294
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: How to remove glass

Post by Caprigear » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:39 am

I wouldn't cut the front screen rubber if I were you as the rubbers for the later screen which your Laser will have are no longer available new.
Image

Paul G
Posts: 1384
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:21 pm
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Fiesta mK2 pop plus, Skoda Octavia VRS,
Location: High Wycombe

Re: How to remove glass

Post by Paul G » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:36 am

Caprigear wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:39 am
I wouldn't cut the front screen rubber if I were you as the rubbers for the later screen which your Laser will have are no longer available new.
Oh, I didn't know that Martin.

Stanspeedautocare
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:01 pm
Car(s): Mk3 capri 2.0 lazer

Re: How to remove glass

Post by Stanspeedautocare » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:03 pm

Thanks everyone.. my front screen has got a big scuff/scratch on it from it looks like having no wiper lol . Can you still buy screens or does anyone have one

Caprigear
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2294
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: How to remove glass

Post by Caprigear » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:16 pm

Paul G wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:36 am
Caprigear wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:39 am
I wouldn't cut the front screen rubber if I were you as the rubbers for the later screen which your Laser will have are no longer available new.
Oh, I didn't know that Martin.
Yes, earlier screens are not a problem but the later screens are slightly smaller hence the different rubber.
Image

User avatar
nigecapri
Posts: 5748
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:31 am
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.
Location: http://www.blacklabradorpuppies.co.uk/
Contact:

Re: How to remove glass

Post by nigecapri » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:36 pm

How I have removed the front glass:
Use fingers of both hands to pull down the rubber on the inside at the top of the screen and tuck a bit of the edge under the metal surround. Do not push the rubber very hard when first starting or near corners. Work along very carefully to each side then down both ends so that the screen with the rubber still on it is outside the metal then lift it all off the car. Obviously two people on the glass and helpful to have a third bod.
To refit:
Enough very strong thin nylon cord to go more than round the screen. Starting at the top/middle sit the cord inside the outer groove then down each side and cross it at the bottom/middle. Engage that groove on the bottom of the metal frame & firms but slowly pull the rubber lip out & over the frame.

Stanspeedautocare
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:01 pm
Car(s): Mk3 capri 2.0 lazer

Re: How to remove glass

Post by Stanspeedautocare » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:08 pm

Perfect thanks

User avatar
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Posts: 4063
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: How to remove glass

Post by stevemarl » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:42 pm

nigecapri wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:36 pm
How I have removed the front glass:
Use fingers of both hands to pull down the rubber on the inside at the top of the screen and tuck a bit of the edge under the metal surround. Do not push the rubber very hard when first starting or near corners. Work along very carefully to each side then down both ends so that the screen with the rubber still on it is outside the metal then lift it all off the car. Obviously two people on the glass and helpful to have a third bod.
To refit:
Enough very strong thin nylon cord to go more than round the screen. Starting at the top/middle sit the cord inside the outer groove then down each side and cross it at the bottom/middle. Engage that groove on the bottom of the metal frame & firms but slowly pull the rubber lip out & over the frame.
Concise and helpful: isn`t there anywhere specifically to make such info `sticky` so people don`t need to search too hard in future?

Post Reply