2.8 fuel problem

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
owenamber
Car(s): 2.8 capri special

2.8 fuel problem

Post by owenamber »

Hi
I have a 2.8 which stars fine and ticks over nice. When warm however it just cuts out and is then reluctant to start. When it does start with a struggle it will back fire and cut out.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: 2.8 fuel problem

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

owenamber wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:28 pmAny suggestions appreciated.
Possibly a fueling issue?
Have a read of this extremely useful page to familiarise yourself with all the different elements of the Bosch K-jet system.
https://www.zeepoort.nl/jetronic/K-Jetr ... oting.html

At the bottom of the page there is a troubleshooting section you can work your way through.
:goodluck:

Andrew.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

owenamber wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:28 pm Hi
I have a 2.8 which stars fine and ticks over nice. When warm however it just cuts out and is then reluctant to start. When it does start with a struggle it will back fire and cut out.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Has it been 'tuned' by anyone recently?
If so it may well be running weak. Will run ok until warm as the Warm Up Regulator will compensate.
The two exhaust pipes don't both run the same.
If the gas tester is stuck up the richer pipe and it's adjusted to that then the other bank will be on fumes.

I've covered this many times before, but the best way is to measure both pipes for emissions, then set the average between the two pipe of 2.8% CO. (ie, could be one reading 2.4 and the other 3.2)
You may be told this is too high, but I ran my 2.8i for 26 years and it always responded best to this method.

Of course, it could be one of many other reasons, but you could always start with this.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

If it hasn't been done for a while it is probably worth starting with a new fuel filter. Plenty of other possibilities but that is a simple one to discount.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
owenamber

Post by owenamber »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:43 pm
Have a read of this extremely useful page to familiarise yourself with all the different elements of the Bosch K-jet system.

At the bottom of the page there is a troubleshooting section you can work your way through.

Andrew.

Hi Andrew thanks for that
owenamber

Post by owenamber »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:43 pm

Andrew.
Thanks for that
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

You MUST use a gas analyser to set he idle mixture on a 2.8 - many times on here the method for setting a carbed pinto has been detailed but the K-Jetronic adjustment is so fine that it can't be done by ear. You will see how much the % is changed with the smallest movement on the adjuster.

You will have to richen it whilst the warm up reg is working and see if it will idle once it warms then do your accurate setting. If you can't get it to idle at all it's not a mixture problem, look at timing and valve clearances. Probably not a bad idea to do a simple top end engine service anyway - new plugs and leads, check clearances, ignition timing, then mixture. Depends if you just want to solve the problem I suppose.
Bug

Post by Bug »

340truck wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:43 pm You MUST use a gas analyser to set he idle mixture on a 2.8 - many times on here the method for setting a carbed pinto has been detailed but the K-Jetronic adjustment is so fine that it can't be done by ear. You will see how much the % is changed with the smallest movement on the adjuster.

You will have to richen it whilst the warm up reg is working and see if it will idle once it warms then do your accurate setting. If you can't get it to idle at all it's not a mixture problem, look at timing and valve clearances. Probably not a bad idea to do a simple top end engine service anyway - new plugs and leads, check clearances, ignition timing, then mixture. Depends if you just want to solve the problem I suppose.
Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with Mr Truck (mostly cos he's about twice my size :roll: ), I would say that the symptoms are almost identical to mine when the garage had tuned it back to a standard setting on the richest bank.
I too, was led on a wild goose chase, thinking the lack of idle and backfiring was timing. Took me a while to fathom it out.

However, do NOT discount all the suggestions made above. Bear in mind that if your spark plugs wear down, the gap will open up. It may only be a minute change but as the spark has to build up a bit more energy to jump the gap then it effectively retards the ignition (especially if the plug gaps weren't checked when you put them in, as I've always found them to be bit wider than they should be). Same applies to a high resistance in a lead, or across the distributor.

It is never a bad thing to fit new ignition parts first as then you know you're starting from a good position.

As an aside, I always kept the centre HT lead and the longest plug lead from the set I changed out, plus a good plug, in the boot as it'll get you home in an emergency. Do make sure its the longest lead though as it's embarrassing to find your spare is too short.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

It's a while since I saw you Bug...probably 3 times your size now!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Larger plug gaps causes ignition to be retarded ? :python: me thinks your plug gap needs closing up a bit :poke: :xd: ,that's right up there with the misinformation mother's tell unruly kids about what's going to happen if they swallow Cherry stones or chewing gum,.....or don't eat their Brussel sprouts :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Bug

Post by Bug »

Mc Tool wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:04 pm Larger plug gaps causes ignition to be retarded ? :python: me thinks your plug gap needs closing up a bit :poke: :xd: ,that's right up there with the misinformation mother's tell unruly kids about what's going to happen if they swallow Cherry stones or chewing gum,.....or don't eat their Brussel sprouts :D
Really?
Well thank you for enlightening me.
Never too old to learn eh?

Ok, so leave your spark plugs alone. No need to change them as the wear on them is irrelevant.
I hope you read this in time before you waste your money on new ones. :xd:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Awe ,now your just being silly

:xd:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Bug wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:22 am No need to change them as the wear on them is irrelevant.

The gap is not irrelevant, but it honestly will not affect the actual timing, the spark occurs the instant the field collapses in the coil , gap just affects the quality of the spark, . I`m sure you`re thinking of the points gap which DOES alter timing?
Bug

Post by Bug »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:11 pm
Bug wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:22 am No need to change them as the wear on them is irrelevant.

The gap is not irrelevant, but it honestly will not affect the actual timing, the spark occurs the instant the field collapses in the coil , gap just affects the quality of the spark, . I`m sure you`re thinking of the points gap which DOES alter timing?
Then we shall agree to differ and leave it at that.
Never had points in my 2.8i. That much I am certain of. ;)