Mk3 2.0 laser restoration advice

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Mk3 2.0 laser restoration advice

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

The grilles under the bumper should be satin black, by the way.

Are your current wings the original ones, or has your car had pattern wings fitted in the past? If they are genuine, if the area that is rusty isn't too big, I would probably go for the repair patches and keep as much rust-free genuine wing as possible.

Andrew.
Stanspeedautocare
Car(s): Mk3 capri 2.0 lazer

Post by Stanspeedautocare »

Yes the are original
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

I`m sure I`ve heard of people using pattern parts to provide repair patches for original wings, as the aftermarket ones are often a poor fit? Easier than fabricating patches from scratch.
Although just the front corners have gone, I`d check very closely the top rear corners, as mud gets lodged there too and they often rot out there.
Stanspeedautocare
Car(s): Mk3 capri 2.0 lazer

Post by Stanspeedautocare »

Thanks for advice . I have sanded the whole car down to bare metal and the only bad rust is the front of the wings like on the sides of the lights . There is no other rust on the whole can apart from like 5p size dots all over it which have been rust treated now .. wander if I can buy just the very front noses of the wings
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Stanspeedautocare wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:59 pm wander if I can buy just the very front noses of the wings
In a word, no.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

it might be worth buying pattern part wings and cutting them up for use as repair sections. You'd then have the best of both worlds, solid wings which fit the car still.