Steering wheel colour

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Steering wheel colour

Post by Allan mcl »

Hi all,

Does anybody know what colour die is needed for a laser steering wheel and where I could get it as mine is looking a bit grubby and thought with the car being off the road it would be a good time to do those little jobs.

Cheers Allan.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Steering wheel colour

Post by stevemarl »

Hi,
I used some stuff several years ago which has worked well & not needed re-treatment, Gliptone Scuffmaster which was available in 65ml bottles for all makes of car and different shades etc, this was Ford Capri light grey. You can, in theory, apply with a sponge, but I actually took the wheel off and did it with an airbrush as I kept getting streaks/blotches with sponges or cloths. Just looked at their website and can`t find the car colours section now (I`m sure I bought direct)
Correction, if you go to the leather dyes section, select a product, (scuffmaster dye) at checkout you then get an option car/ model/ colour/ shade/ code etc. The one I bought was I`m sure Ford Capri light grey. This was a perfect match - but please contact the company before you order as I don`t want to be responsible if they send the wrong thing. For eg, I don`t understand why a 65ml bottle (as I got) is almost the same cost as a 250ml bottle of what seems to be the same stuff???? You`ll see what I mean.

https://www.liquidleather.co.uk/leather-dyes-c48
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Allan mcl wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:45 pm Hi all,

Does anybody know what colour die is needed for a laser steering wheel and where I could get it as mine is looking a bit grubby and thought with the car being off the road it would be a good time to do those little jobs.

Cheers Allan.
I used this one in the link below, Wakesons Dark Grey leather touch up and it was absolutely brilliant.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-IN-ONE-L ... SwrfVZW~r9

My steering wheel was so bad I was considering replacing it but I firstly gave it a good scrub with Vanish, then thoroughly dried it for a couple of days. After this I sanded off the rough bits with 380 grit paper until the wheel was smooth then, just using the dye tipped out onto some kitchen roll, carefully dabbed it all around the wheel. It looked good after the first coat but I lightly sanded the new surface and applied 2 further coats of the dye and the result was brilliant.
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Post by Allan mcl »

Thanks for the replies,will probably try wakenson as this appears to be the easier application, will let you know when I get it sorted.

Thanks again.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I use the CCI stuff but I also have the grey leather in my car so treat the seats and the steering wheel , I do use autoglym leather feed which does bring the steering wheel up nice and clean and it feeds the leather .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: