Who feels like solving a mystery?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Who feels like solving a mystery?

Post by Mr B »

Morning all,

Recently had some issues with MOT exemption for my car, this is now solved but a mystery has come out of all the research.
Please feel free to check the MOT status of my car on the DVLA website then have a look at the the Tax status of my car again on the DVLA website, does anyone notice anything strange?
My car reg is BUF770L

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Who feels like solving a mystery?

Post by pbar »

The MOT status has 'No results returned'.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

That's absolutely true and it's fine as she is MOT exempt, however there is something else that's very wrong when comparing the 2 different DVLA websites....
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Mr B wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:52 am That's absolutely true and it's fine as she is MOT exempt, however there is something else that's very wrong when comparing the 2 different DVLA websites....
Date of registration is different. One says July 1971 and other is November 1972!!! And both DVLA websites :shock:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:13 am
Mr B wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:52 am That's absolutely true and it's fine as she is MOT exempt, however there is something else that's very wrong when comparing the 2 different DVLA websites....
Date of registration is different. One says July 1971 and other is November 1972!!! And both DVLA websites :shock:
Spot on mate, how can that happen!!!??
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Yes very strange as on both DVLA mot checks it deffo has the dates as First Registration. Looking on a couple of other non dvla it has your Capri as 1972. What does the logbook say mate??
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mr B wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:15 am Spot on mate, how can that happen!!!??
Hi Wayne,
Although I don't have any answers, I can tell you that it is fairly common that a discrepancy occurs between the date of registration as recorded on the MOT check and of that recorded on the DVLA vehicle enquiry site.
I know because I check the registration date and MOT details of every car I upload a photo of to my Flickr page. I currently check 11 cars per day and on average probably 1 or 2 of those show the discrepancy you describe. In all those cases, it's always the MOT site that shows incorrect details, so my best guess is that the MOT tester inputs the date of registration onto the system and sometimes he/she gets it wrong. Unless the car has been imported, this generally effects cars that are pre- mid 80s.
I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Andrew.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Hi guy's,

The log book states she was registered on the 15/11/1972, which does match her chassis number, the thing is though how is it possible that the DVLA haven't noticed a discrepancy like this after all both websites are official DVLA website's!

Wayne
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

There was a 'famous' case of a white Tickford that sat in the Aston Martin showroom in Long Stratton, Norfolk, for many years.
It was finally sold and registered on a 'J' plate. So that would have been quite a discrepancy from the build date.

Way back in 1999 I organised an attempt to get a 'Mile of Capris' at the Norfolk Showground to celebrate the 30th Anniversary. Didn't manage it but we did get 130+.

Two things stick out in my mind from that day. First was the local Ford dealer turning up, unannounced and handing me the keys of a brand new, unregistered V6 Cougar which we put in our 'evolution' line-up, consisting of a Mustang, Classic Capri, Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, Probe, Cougar.

The second thing was a chap turning up with the J-reg Tickford. The one and only time I ever saw it.

Anyone else on here that came to that show??