Heater

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Synn
Car(s): Ford Capri LS MK3

Heater

Post by Synn »

Hey guys it's been a while,

Does anyone know what part of the heater (this may sound dumb) actually creates the heat, mine seems to have just stopped getting hot, I still have air flow etc just no heat, and after finding a tiny leak with all this rain I could do with some heat in there to help dry it out and clear windows quicker.

I've got to get in to the heater box to check something anyway as it blows through all vent holes no matter the position (could this be a factor in the issue??) so i'd like to get it all done at the same time.

thanks ahead of time
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Re: Heater

Post by Cosmicbike »

The heater box has a small radiator in it which is supplied with hot water from the engine. It's not uncommon for this to block up. Under the bonnet, just below the brake servo/master cylinder are 2 x 15mm ish diameter hoses, if you have an auto-choke you can follow one of them to the carb. A few things to check.

1. Is the engine warming up? If not then you'll get no heat.
2. Is the hot/cold selector for the heater actually moving the actuator on the box, and the plate within.
3. Is the choke coming off? If the heater is blocked then you'll be running on the choke all the time.

I've got a load of pics of the whole install that I can stick up after work.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Sometimes you only have to lube the control cables . See if you can't get your eyes on the levers that operate on the actual heater box ( should be 2 ) and work the controls on the dash ,the idea being to see if the levers move with the controls ,. The levers operate flaps inside the heater that control air flow thru 1) the Heater core, which controls the heat output , and 2) controls where the air goes ,either screen or floor. If the heat flap is stuck on cool then that's all you get , similarly if the direction flap is stuck 1/2 way you will get air everywhere . Good luck ;)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Synn
Car(s): Ford Capri LS MK3

Post by Synn »

ah awesome thanks guys, hopefully it'll be a fairly simple fix by the sound of it, I do get the odd bit of heat, when i say heat i mean it feels like someone just coughed into the vent, but hopefully that means its actually still producing heat and its just the flaps.. I will try and get out there and take a look when this damn rain passes
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

That's mildly interesting . My heater ain't worth a tin of shit, an I dun everything . New hoses ,t/stat,waterpump. I have flushed ,cleaned and resealed the heater ,verified flow from manifold thru choke, hoses ,heater matrix and back to pump. The temp gauge works ,doesn't overheat ( not even when dragging a 1 tonne boat up over the crown range.........we won't talk about the brakes goin down tother side ). The only thing I haven't done is to use a good thermometer and see what temp the engine coolant really is, but I've sorta given up coz when :roll: I get this Rover donk in there nirvana will ensue and if the heater is the same ....I won't care :drive: :burnout: :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh