NOS Exhausts

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
davla
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (Project)

NOS Exhausts

Post by davla »

I'm having a clear out and have a couple of what I to believe are Capri exhausts but I'm not sure what model/engine they fit. Could anyone help identifying them please?

The first is genuine Ford

The second is a pattern part, it looks like it has Capri Mk2 & 3 written on it in black marker:

stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: NOS Exhausts

Post by stevemarl »

Hi,
In the first ones the silencers look too close together to be a Capri, (the pipe between has to go over the back axle). The 2nd, FD434, is the middle section off a 1.6/2.0. They go for £40-50 on ebay - but that`s with shipping. Hope that helps.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:08 am Hi,
In the first ones the silencers look too close together to be a Capri, (the pipe between has to go over the back axle). The 2nd, FD434, is the middle section off a 1.6/2.0. They go for £40-50 on ebay - but that`s with shipping. Hope that helps.
:agree: The first one doesn't look like a Capri section, and the second looks like the 2.0 middle section that Mags posted here in 2nd and 3rd posts; viewtopic.php?f=10&t=53440&start=20

Apparently 1.6 is slightly different!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Andy,
the aftermarket Fd434 is standard to both, the O.E, parts from Ford were different (I think the 1.6 front pipe was longer and joined a short stub in the middle box), but the aftermaarket ones all use the 2.0 design, which fits both. Why Ford didn`t do this only they know...
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:27 am Andy,
the aftermarket Fd434 is standard to both, the O.E, parts from Ford were different (I think the 1.6 front pipe was longer and joined a short stub in the middle box), but the aftermaarket ones all use the 2.0 design, which fits both. Why Ford didn`t do this only they know...
Thanks Steve

:cheers:
Mk3 Mags
Car(s): 2.0 Laser (semi-retired)

Post by Mk3 Mags »

Thanks for the explanation. Now I'm living and learning! That's Ford for you; always liked to complicate matters.

Looking at the first picture above, EB would indicate a British-built Capri and 73 indicates that the part was introduced in 1973. Therefore this looks like an early (MkI) part. I've been doing a bit of research but cannot be more specific than that.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Mk3 Mags wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:24 am
Thanks for the explanation. Now I'm living and learning! That's Ford for you; always liked to complicate matters.

Looking at the first picture above, EB would indicate a British-built Capri and 73 indicates that the part was introduced in 1973. Therefore this looks like an early (MkI) part. I've been doing a bit of research but cannot be more specific than that.
Not knowing anything about the Mk1 exhaust I did wonder if it was for a Mk1.

Looks like a middle section and not a middle and rear box as I first thought :?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

The pipe still had to go over the axle though, that looks like a foot of straight pipe, can`t see how that would work? Unless it`s taken from exactly above and there IS a big hump in the pipe that`s just not visible due to the angle?

Edit: This is from the Official Ford workshop manual for Mk1, I would say they were still different?
andyd

Post by andyd »

You are right Steve looks completely different.

4th pics says Reynolds Truck Centre so it may be a 80's Transit?

This looks very similar (Section 2nd from left) https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/332544869291
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Andy,
yes that looks much more like it.
davla
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (Project)

Post by davla »

Thanks for the replies, I initially thought it might be Transit but then found info that indicated that EB was for Capri