Shocks - Normal Vs Gas

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Shocks - Normal Vs Gas

Post by Cosmicbike »

One of my front shocks is leaking, and assuming it gets through the MOT in September it will be on the list of things to replace during the strip/rebuild. I'm not overly interested in performance, so adjustable gas shocks are probably a waste of time, but I note that Tickover supply both 'normal' and 'gas' shocks, non-adjustable.
So, any noticeable difference do we think?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Shocks - Normal Vs Gas

Post by stevemarl »

People assume gas shocks are filled with gas rather than oil, in reality `gas` means the oil is pressurised with nitrogen to stop the oil foaming under heavy use. I imagine for normal usage you`ll not see any benefit. You can still get different ratings. softer or stiffer than O.E. Thyis video explains:
https://www.kyb.com/kyb-tv/the-differen ... be-shocks/
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Post by Cosmicbike »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:00 pm People assume gas shocks are filled with gas rather than oil, in reality `gas` means the oil is pressurised with nitrogen to stop the oil foaming under heavy use. I imagine for normal usage you`ll not see any benefit. You can still get different ratings. softer or stiffer than O.E. Thyis video explains:
https://www.kyb.com/kyb-tv/the-differen ... be-shocks/
Thanks. Good video too. Making an assumption that normal, non-adjustable gas shocks are what they referred to as 'twin-tube', whilst the more expensive and adjustable type would be 'mono-tube', I imagine the adjustment comes from compressing the gas section which results in a firmer ride.
Either way, stock will suit me just fine.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Back in the day the belief was that gas shocks tended to be better at MOT time. I never got to the bottom of whether that was because they actually lasted that much longer or just that any leaks would be less evident to the MOT tester.