Struts and Steering re-build

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Struts and Steering re-build

Post by D366Y »

Hello all!

Just wanted some pointers really to make sure I don't miss anything;
I've taken off both struts and stripped them back into the individual components (part from the dampers which I've left in place currently) and I've also removed the power steering rack and have loosened off the nuts/bolts where necessary so I can take apart each component, clean them all up properly and paint where needed.

My question(s) were about if there is anything else I should do before putting it all back together?
Should I replace the damper as well?
Should I remove the damper from the strut at all or just leave it in place?
Should I replace the wheel bearings at the same time?
I'm also assuming that I should clear off all the old grease from the hubs and bearings and re-grease them when putting it back together?

Same goes for the steering rack - is there anything else I should be doing before/while putting everything back together while it's all off?

Thanks!
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Struts and Steering re-build

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:41 am Same goes for the steering rack - is there anything else I should be doing before/while putting everything back together while it's all off?
Hi Danny, according to the Haynes manual, the steering gear has to be kept lubricated with 200ml of SAE40 oil. I assume it's a case of putting half in one side of the rack, half in the other and then turning from lock to lock to distribute the oil.

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:52 pm
D366Y wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:41 am Same goes for the steering rack - is there anything else I should be doing before/while putting everything back together while it's all off?
Hi Danny, according to the Haynes manual, the steering gear has to be kept lubricated with 200ml of SAE40 oil. I assume it's a case of putting half in one side of the rack, half in the other and then turning from lock to lock to distribute the oil.

Andrew.
Thanks Andrew, will make sure I do this once it's all back in :)
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:06 am Thanks Andrew, will make sure I do this once it's all back in :)
Hi Danny,
I've just checked and the Ford Workshop Manual (the orange one) gives the same info.
Thinking about it, while the rack is off the car it might be better to take off one boot to pour in the oil before you refit the rack. Otherwise, it might be difficult to actually get the oil to go into the rack, as I don't believe that there is an oil fill point anywhere in the casing.

Considering the rest of the damage to the steering components on the offside, it might be a sensible precaution to at least replace the bearing on that side. You don't know what sort of impact it's had. The bearings appear to be fairly cheap (£20 + VAT from Tickover).

Andrew.