Steering rack parts

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Steering rack parts

Post by D366Y »

Trying to look at parts for the power steering rack on the S and as the picture below shows, the bottom joint onto the wheel is shagged and bent but I can’t find replacement parts for them anywhere without getting the whole rack reconditioned which I was sort of hoping to avoid simply due to the massive cost when the only thing that’s wrong with this unit is that it needs a clean and this one part
Anyone have any advice/ideas please?
Attachments
8F82021B-8D6F-4F69-90C6-D9C5B7610996.jpeg
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Steering rack parts

Post by Mc Tool »

They are definitely available . I would try Martin , or failing that either Burton power or Rally Design.
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

You could try taking it to CK engineering, they have all the V-blocks etc to straighten things. They once manage to straighten, line bore and balance a seized and bent 6 cylinder Mercedes 280 crankshaft for me so a tie rod should be within their capabilities.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yeah, that might work for a big fat crankshaft that is out by a few thou but not a skinny tie rod bent 15 or 20 Deg, specially as it's bent right at the end of the threads, which already a weak spot , it's bound to be cracked ,and you should never attempt to straighten critical components......like steering system parts ,specially when a new one is only £20 Inc tax ......just ain't worth the risk when you consider the potential for disaster if it breaks :drive: :python: :nopity:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

TBH, I`d be more concerned about HOW the tie rod got bent as that must have been a severe impact: what damage has it done to other parts such as steering knuckle etc, which may be cast and more brittle? Whilst I appreciate the `not taking chances with steering parts` the rod is AFAIK mild steel? not cast, in which case it`s not going to fracture with that sort of bend, it`s really quite ductile. (If it IS cast then obviously that`s another story) Assuming not, I`d have no problem trying to do that in a vice personally, maybe with a bit of heat?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:40 am it`s not going to fracture with that sort of bend
Famous last words :D
Here in NZ ,if I fronted up at the certification engineer in a scratch built or modified vehicle that had previously damaged critical components that had been straightened ( or bent to fit ) especially using heat I would never get it certified , and I suspect it would be the same in the UK if you took your newly completed kit car in for its roadworthy (or whatever you guys call it ) test :)
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:40 am maybe with a bit of heat?
My mot tester has told me in the past that evidence of heat on the steering arms was an instant fail. Of course if you paint it after I'm not sure how they would spot it!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Thanks for the replies guys - took a few hours yesterday trying to get the steering rack off and obviously a search through the forum helped to get the thing off - that bloody pinch bolt was a nightmare!

I'm not sure if the small vice I have will be up to the task of trying to bend it myself, but when I get round to getting it out I'll probably drop it off to CK (thanks Paul) as they'll do a proper job rather than me bodging it
If Martin does have a new arm then yeah I might change it (price dependant) but so far I can't find anywhere online that sells them, just the rod ends

Cheers
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

:banghead: