Automatic Gearbox - Oil usage

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Automatic Gearbox - Oil usage

Post by Jasonmarie »

What about plumbers PTFE tape ? Only a guess and not seeing the pipes
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi mate,

To be honest the connections shouldn't really need any additional sealant etc. if they are tightened up enough

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Mr B wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:35 pm Hi mate,

To be honest the connections shouldn't really need any additional sealant etc. if they are tightened up enough

Wayne
Cheers Wayne, I'll eat some spinach and try again then!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Make sure you use 2 spanners , one to hold the fitting still and the other to tighten the nut. The nut and fitting need a fair bit of torque to get them to seal and this amount of torque is often enough to damage the other end of the fitting,where be it welded or threaded to something and by supporting the fitting you remove this potential for damage
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Mc Tool wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:08 am Make sure you use 2 spanners , one to hold the fitting still and the other to tighten the nut. The nut and fitting need a fair bit of torque to get them to seal and this amount of torque is often enough to damage the other end of the fitting,where be it welded or threaded to something and by supporting the fitting you remove this potential for damage
:agree:

Good call

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Cheers guys, since I fitted the new sump gasket it seems to have been much much better, I couldn't get the pipes on first time round as the exhaust was in the way so when I get some spare time I'll take that part off to give me some more space to have a look at it

Thanks as ever for all the help and great tips/advice!

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Apologies for the thread resurrection (I seem to be an expert at this recently!!) But my auto box has recently started to occasionally take a few seconds to engage a gear and I just wondered how often the oil/filter needs changing?

As per this thread I changed it all in August 2019 so it has had 3 and a bit years, but that doesn't seem that long?

The Haynes doesn't have any guidance (that I could find) about how often the oil/filter needs changing as it just says to take it to an expert!

Cheers
Danny
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

D366Y wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:24 am Apologies for the thread resurrection (I seem to be an expert at this recently!!) But my auto box has recently started to occasionally take a few seconds to engage a gear and I just wondered how often the oil/filter needs changing?

As per this thread I changed it all in August 2019 so it has had 3 and a bit years, but that doesn't seem that long?

The Haynes doesn't have any guidance (that I could find) about how often the oil/filter needs changing as it just says to take it to an expert!

Cheers
Danny
Hi Danny

Are you absolutely sure that the oil level is spot on? I've found that in 8/10 cases late engagement are oil level problems.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Hi Paul, good to see you back on here!
The level is a smidge over where it should be, but it has been like that for a long time so I figured it must be something else if it has been working fine for the last couple of years anyway...?
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Post by SCP440 »

How many miles has your Auto gearbox done? From experience on C3's from years ago most need a refurb after 100k miles or 10 to 15 years, the seals shrink inside and this starts with a delay in engagement or a delay in going into top and/or reverse.
While its out it also well worth getting the convertor refurbished.
A worn convertor can use a lot of extra energy.
I recently fitted a refurbished box and convertor to a friends classic car and it has transformed the car. More power and it feels as if the car has 25% more power just because less is being wasted.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

The car has only done 87k Ish miles.
New filter just over three years ago, along with new flex plate and torque converter (well, as new as 40year old parts can be) so haven't touched it since as it has been working fine.

Does the oil ever need regular changing or should I just change the filter again at the same time?
SCP440

Post by SCP440 »

Sadly I doubt a filter and any amount of oil changes will fix it, it sounds like the seals have shrunk inside the gearbox. Even these fluids that claim to restore Auto gearboxes dont work in a C3 as the seals wont swell ( that is how this stuff works) as they are Synthetic rubber. Because they are leaking it is struggling to get up to pressure hence the delay.
Start saving as it wont get better sadly. As the weather gets warmer it will probably be noticably worse as the oil thins down.
I have a friend who can refurbish it for you if that is of any help?
Good news that you have a newish convertor but I would suggest you drain it and flush it before fitting it to a refurbished box.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Easy to say but , why not give some thought to fitting a late-ish trans and converter. You could have 4 speeds ( top being an overdrive ) and a lock up converter without getting into electronic control issues.🙂
SCP440

Post by SCP440 »

Mc Tool wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:07 pm Easy to say but , why not give some thought to fitting a late-ish trans and converter. You could have 4 speeds ( top being an overdrive ) and a lock up converter without getting into electronic control issues.🙂
A great idea, the A4LD that was fitted to some Sierra's is almost a bolt on option if you can find the correct one. The later ones need some basic electrics bit all doable. I am looking at this on my 3.0, its a bigger job as it was never fitted to a 3.0 V6 but I am hoping I can work it out
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Im working on fitting a 4hp22 ZF autobox to a V8 Rover engine for my Capri .😁