Capri rebuild checklist

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Devoncapri
Car(s): 84 mk3 Ford Capri project

Capri rebuild checklist

Post by Devoncapri »

Hi, I’ve got a mk3 that I have near enough stripped to a shell, I want to build from scratch although I’m not mechanically minded!
I was wondering if there is anything out there that could help with the order of jobs, basically like a checklist!?
Appericiate any input, cheers
jrooney1991
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser - Back on the road!

Re: Capri rebuild checklist

Post by jrooney1991 »

Bloody hell! You're in for a ride but it's worth it... I am just coming to the end of mine, so here are some hints towards the right direction.... These might not be correct to everyone's standards, but worked for me and is some of the learnings I made too!

1, get the Haynes Capri restoration manual. It's not hugely specific but great if you have no mechanical or prior knowledge of cars. The regular Haynes manual is better for the oily bits.

2, label everything as you take it off. Especially bolts out of steering or propshaft etc as these tend to be specific. I didn't. You try finding the propshaft-diff flange bolts in a tin of everything else. Impossible!!

3, once you have a bare shell (tub) get all painting and grinding etc done. If you get it back together and then need to grind out some rust etc, the iron spray will stick to anything in its path like :swear: to a blanket and cause rust! Spend time and money now getting the car straight and clean, as best as you can afford.

4, start underneath when rebuilding. Nothing worse than finding rust in the floorpan when you've just refitted the carpet...

5, get brakes in before the engine. It's easier to work on the pipes etc under the bonnet.

6, leave the interior to last, as it's the most delicate aspect and hardest to repair.

7, most screws and bolts are repeated around the car. Try to get a slush fund of new common use bolts.

8, the engine and drivetrain is metric, the body is imperial! You'll need two sets of spanners...

9, use this forum. It's taken me years to get mine together but it's been great. Start with small steps and keep us in the loop.
James Roooooooooooooooooooney!

http://www.clappedouttoclassic.blogspot.co.uk

Have a quick look at my Capri's ongoing restoration! You might teach me something!
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Post by Cosmicbike »

:agree:

I'm about to embark on a similar task, though delaying until after the Brooklands bash. With the few jobs I've done so far, I'd add that if you don't feel like you're in the mood, leave well alone and drink tea/beer/whatever, or you will make a pigs ear of it.
Devoncapri

Post by Devoncapri »

jrooney1991 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:04 pm Bloody hell! You're in for a ride but it's worth it... I am just coming to the end of mine, so here are some hints towards the right direction.... These might not be correct to everyone's standards, but worked for me and is some of the learnings I made too!

1, get the Haynes Capri restoration manual. It's not hugely specific but great if you have no mechanical or prior knowledge of cars. The regular Haynes manual is better for the oily bits.

2, label everything as you take it off. Especially bolts out of steering or propshaft etc as these tend to be specific. I didn't. You try finding the propshaft-diff flange bolts in a tin of everything else. Impossible!!

3, once you have a bare shell (tub) get all painting and grinding etc done. If you get it back together and then need to grind out some rust etc, the iron spray will stick to anything in its path like :swear: to a blanket and cause rust! Spend time and money now getting the car straight and clean, as best as you can afford.

4, start underneath when rebuilding. Nothing worse than finding rust in the floorpan when you've just refitted the carpet...

5, get brakes in before the engine. It's easier to work on the pipes etc under the bonnet.

6, leave the interior to last, as it's the most delicate aspect and hardest to repair.

7, most screws and bolts are repeated around the car. Try to get a slush fund of new common use bolts.

8, the engine and drivetrain is metric, the body is imperial! You'll need two sets of spanners...

9, use this forum. It's taken me years to get mine together but it's been great. Start with small steps and keep us in the loop.
Awesome, thanks for the informative reply! Yeh I realise I have quite a challenge on my hand! Although not having much experience with car I have always had a live for capris. This one used to be my daily drive until it went bang, it’s now time to put it back to its former glory!
Yes I’m going to get all the bodywork done professionally so it’s 100% sound before anything!
I will try and keep it up to date on here!
Cheers
Devoncapri

Post by Devoncapri »

Cosmicbike wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:10 pm :agree:

I'm about to embark on a similar task, though delaying until after the Brooklands bash. With the few jobs I've done so far, I'd add that if you don't feel like you're in the mood, leave well alone and drink tea/beer/whatever, or you will make a pigs ear of it.
Ha yeh point taken, might be a few years in the making!!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Cosmicbike wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:10 pm I'd add that if you don't feel like you're in the mood, leave well alone and drink tea/beer/whatever, or you will make a pigs ear of it.
:agree:
Just not too many beers - I've made that mistake before and still balls-ed it up :oops: :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Don't re use old, rusty, chewed up screws, hose clips, fixings etc... if you're spending the time and money doing any job, supply and fit fresh fixings. Really annoying later on if you need to go back and something recently fitted has manky knackered screws that are a pain to get off.