Blue tooth water temp sensor - any ideas

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Blue tooth water temp sensor - any ideas

Post by brooky »

Hi

I want to put a small temp sensor on the cooling system, powered from car battery and able to send signal to my smart phone when I am in the car so that i can just keep an eye on exact temp rather then rely on the standard random gauge but can find any through google search, etc. Has anyone come across one or seen something that would do the job. prefer blue tooth to my phone rather than hard wiring a digital gauge

Thanks

Mark
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Blue tooth water temp sensor - any ideas

Post by stevemarl »

Car Builder Solutions https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/ ... &orderBy=0
were the most likely place for any knd of gauges etc and they don`t have anything like you described. I do have a device I got from Maplin years ago which reads both internal temp and the temp on a thermistor (small triangle) at the end of a 2m wire. You could possibly strap the thermistor to a hose/ rad/ head and the wire could come in through a door seal? Might be worth searching on ebay/Amazon: don`t know exactly what you`d call it? Beyond that there`s nothing else really
DSC01146.JPG
TBH, I once checked the calibration, on the bench, stable power supply, 2 gauges, 2 (new) senders (pans of boiling water, thermocouples etc . anal or what???) and with all parts in good condition (inc a new Motorcraft sender) the mid point of the gauge represents 95`C, which is about right bearing in mind it`s stuck in the head, not on a hose. Really this tells you all you need to know: if it goes up you know it`s overheating, if it runs low a stuck open thermostat/ faulty V. Reg, I can`t see that quantifying this further will help solve the problem - I assume you DO have a problem or you`d not be asking? If everything`s working the cooling system is really pretty good. Assuming: 1/ the radiator is clear and clean: 2/ the thermostat is working correctly: 3/ the waterways in the engine are not encrusted with rust and crud from years without antifreeze: 4/ the thermo viscous fan is working correctly: 5/ the ignition timing/ mixture are correct. If all these factors are 100% the needle should stay in the middle regardless of sitting in traffic on the hottest day (in fact it MAY read a little under in sub-zero weather , but overheating shouldn`t be a problem.)

Quick edit: Just had a quick look on Amazon and found this, seems OK just short (1m) wire to sender, but you could extend easily enough?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keynice-Digita ... 70WP7FTDBP

I`m assuming this was not for permanent fitment, more diagnostic?