Fuel Pipes & Braided Brake Hoses?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Fuel Pipes & Braided Brake Hoses?

Post by Cosmicbike »

After seeing a few images of classics on fire, I figure I should change the fuel pipework on the Laser, and no doubt the brake lines are original too.

After recommendations for both please?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Fuel Pipes & Braided Brake Hoses?

Post by Mc Tool »

Sure wouldn't be a bad thing to do ,specially if you have bored fingers. I would change the rubber fuel lines at each end of the car ,but unless there is a good reason (like rust or damage )to change the steel tubing ,I'd leave it alone ,( maybe give it a good blast out with the compressed air, and change a few mounting clips ). I bought a goodridge braided brake line kit which came with the 3 hoses needed. I haven't yet fitted it but I have fitted braided brake lines to just about every vehicle I have owned ,and in all instances I have been happy with the performance gains . If your braking system is working ok nows the time to replace all the seals and fluid ( given the age of the car ).I have found that if you wait till something starts leaking you wind up replacing whole assy,s instead of just the seals thereof. Usually water gets into the fluid and the corrosion starts from the inside, so if you swoop in with a hand full of seals and some fluid before this starts your well in :beer:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

It probably is a good idea to change the fuel pipe. I believe you will need to look for R9 rated pipe, it tolerates new increased ethanol levels in fuel.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Peter is correct, you want SAE J30 R9 hose for maximum safety. I’m not sure what Capri you have but it's suitable for fuel injection systems too.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I replaced the rear flexible brake hose on mine for a Hel braided one when i swapped the axle and noticed a definite improvement in pedal feel. The standard front hoses look quite new but I will probably get round to replacing them with braided ones in due course.