carb float setting

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
matty007
Car(s): ford capri laser with 2lt engine

carb float setting

Post by matty007 »

Hi i've3 got a 2lt capri mk3 with pinto engine with 38weber carb fitted . can anyone tell me how to adjust my weber carb float setting as i've been told this could be my problem with my car being tricky to start again when hot they say could be float set to high thanks les
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: carb float setting

Post by pbar »

Just a thought before you mess with the carb, are you using the correct starting procedure? For a warm start do not pump the accelerator pedal beforehand but just hold it down slightly as you start the car then release.

For a hot start (i.e. after just a couple of minutes, as in filling up with petrol etc.) do nothing just turn the key.

You probably already know all this but it has caught many people out.
matty007

Post by matty007 »

Hi Yes tried that also tried putting foot to floor turn key take foot off as soon as it starts .
a lot of the trouble seams to be after about 5/10 mins of stopping and starting again but thanks for your reply every little bit of info helps
matty007

Post by matty007 »

hi have just found out that the carb is a weber 32/36 DGV (manual choke) dose that make any difference thanks

as you can tell don't know much about carbs
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

If you have a 32/36 it is the standard carb for the car (a 38 is from a 3.0) so there is hopefully less chance that someone has messed with it previously.
Before pulling the carb apart, which is necessary to check the float level, has the car had a decent service in the recent past - new plugs, points, leads air filter, timing check etc. I would start there.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar

Post by pbar »

Peter-S wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:03 am Before pulling the carb apart, which is necessary to check the float level
There is a 'gap' isn't there Peter, which you can just see through. I'm sure it has been discussed before whereby you can put a lolly stick, or similar, down the gap and gauge the fill of the bowl.
matty007

Post by matty007 »

Hi yes just brought it out of hibernation a month ago and have checked everything over thanks
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Make sure the float is not leaking and filling up with fuel, specially if it one of the black plastic type (as opposed to the brass option ) . I had the same issues and found the float seemed quite heavy ,certainly heavier than I expected , as soon as I picked it up
Hth
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

matty007 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:13 am Hi yes just brought it out of hibernation a month ago and have checked everything over thanks
Have you checked and adjusted (if necessary) the idle mixture?
matty007

Post by matty007 »

Hi have checked the the mixture screw and car ticks over nice no stutters under acceleration
will check float for holes next week when iv'e got some time thanks
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Acceleration stutters have nothing to do with the idle mixture. Set it up correctly and see whether starting gets better.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

matty007 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:25 pm
will check float for holes next week when iv'e got some time thanks
Not so much a hole ......the float is a block of open cell foam with a thin plastic coating (which also attaches the ally hinge pivot), and the plastic coating splits around the pivot mount and allows fuel in.......so there ain't much to see. Just go by the weight, or give it a good clean and put it aside for a while and if it still stinks of fuel it probly got some in there. New brass floats are readily available but you do need to use the correct measurement for the brass float height setting.
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pbar

Post by pbar »

340truck wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:16 pm Set it up correctly and see whether starting gets better.
What 340truck means is set it up as follows (courtesy of 340truck) -

Simply....you adjust the mixture by turning the screw in or out until you find where the engine runs fastest. Adjust the idle control screw to slow it down to 750-950 rpm and then see if you can make it faster by turning the mixture screw. When turning the mixture screw either way lowers the revs, the idle mixture is set perfectly. This works because turning the mixture screw makes the engine more or less efficient. When you are unable to to speed the engine up using the screw, it is at perfect efficiency and therefore is running as best it can be.

You really need to ensure that the basics/ignition/mixture, etc. are correct first otherwise you will be forever chasing your problem.

And to be honest all these quick one line replies (probably sent quickly from your phone) make it difficult to help, you need to give as much info as possible to enable the guys on here to properly help you out.