1.6 pinto blocks and heads and heads and blocks

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
snailshell
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6

Ford Ranger 3.2

1.6 pinto blocks and heads and heads and blocks

Post by snailshell »

Hello all

Question about pinto block and head interchangeability (if thats a word).

So..... i have a 1.6 e max block and head (minus cam and other top end bits) and 2 older pre e max 1.6 blocks and heads (with top end bits). The two older blocks are not good for various reasons. i am trying to make one good engine out of these 3.

My question is: are the (same displacement) Emax blocks compatible with older pinto heads, or at very least use the emax head and transfer the older pinto rockers, rollers, springs etc.

I have spent lots of time searching forums for answers but it cannot find anything specific to the 1.6 e max and older blocks.

Thanks in advance for any help

T
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: 1.6 pinto blocks and heads and heads and blocks

Post by stevemarl »

No, IIRC the e-max was designed to use the same crank etc as the 2.0 so the only difference was a narrower bore in the 1.6. The earlier 1.6 had a different bore AND stroke. I`m fairly certain that would make the heads exclusive to each model? Which is not to say that it can`t be made to work, you can put an (early) 1.6 head on a 2.0 just to increase the C.R.

* it is a word, and the correct spelling :D
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I would go:

1.6 Emax block with 1.6 non Emax head. Use a bog standard 2.0 camshaft (but with a vernier sprocket so you can adjust it absolutely spot on).
Use a quality head gasket because you will have slightly higher than standard compression. You will need the 2.0/Emax cambelt as the one for the earlier 1.6 was a shorter belt to suit the shorter block. Use a 32/36 carb jetted for a 2 litre or early 1600 GT spec.
You will have made a nicely performing 1600 engine without spending very much money at all.
snailshell
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6

Ford Ranger 3.2

Post by snailshell »

Thanks for the replies. Going off your advice i am going to try and build 1 good engine from the bits, might even make a first proper post about it :shock:

Any advice on where to get a good head gasket in the uk?

Thanks
T
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Capri Club do a variety of gasket kits/sets and is where I get mine from
https://www.capriclub.co.uk/Gaskets__Ga ... y--21.html

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I was thinking of something uprated such as a Felpro or Cometic head gasket from Burton Power - but Ive just realised the cost of the latter.

Ive always had good results with Victor Reinz gaskets which are sensibly priced and Im sure the CCI one will be a good quality standard gasket too.

it might be worth getting the head checked for flatness to make sure it doesnt need a skim. Most engine workshops wont charge much for checking, its best to know.