Front wiper seals.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Danthecapriman
Car(s): 1974 Ford Capri mk2 1.6L restoration project.

Front wiper seals.

Post by Danthecapriman »

Hi,
I’m just fitting up loads of bits for my mk2 restoration, I’ve got to get the front wiper mechanism sorted while the dash etc is all in bits but I can’t remember how it all goes together!
I’ve got all the washers and spacers and I’ve got a pair of the plastic ‘top hat’ style cap/cover things and a pair of new rubber seal washers.

Anyone advise where these rubber seal washers are meant to go?
Inside the car between the big spacer thing attached to the wiper mechanism and the inside of the scuttle panel?
Or
Outside the car between outside of the scuttle panel and the large thick spacer washer?

Thanks in advance!
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Re: Front wiper seals.

Post by Brooksy »

Danthecapriman wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:48 am Hi,
I’m just fitting up loads of bits for my mk2 restoration, I’ve got to get the front wiper mechanism sorted while the dash etc is all in bits but I can’t remember how it all goes together!
I’ve got all the washers and spacers and I’ve got a pair of the plastic ‘top hat’ style cap/cover things and a pair of new rubber seal washers.

Inside the car between the big spacer thing attached to the wiper mechanism and the inside of the scuttle panel?
Or
Outside the car between outside of the scuttle panel and the large thick spacer washer?

Thanks in advance!
Hi Dan
Not sure if this photo of the wiper arm/spindle is of any use (sorry about the poor light but it was taken in my garage).

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo showing the wiper mechanism from inside.

:goodluck:
Nige Image
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Brooksy wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:03 pm
Danthecapriman wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:48 am Hi,

Or

Thanks in advance!
Hi Dan
Not sure if this photo of the wiper arm/spindle is of any use (sorry about the poor light but it was taken in my garage).

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo showing the wiper mechanism from inside.

:goodluck:
That’s great, thanks!
It looks more or less like mine should.

I’ve got the big rubber seal washers (about 2mm or so thick and roughly the size of an old penny washer), I’ve put these around the wiper spindle where it pushes through the scuttle panel. This seal is on the outside of the car. On top of this is that big thick spacer type washer, then a thin normal washer, then the big nut that tightens the whole assembly down to secure it all in place and it also squashes the big seal washer. On top of that is the plastic ‘top hat’ cover over the big nut, then the wiper arm and it’s securing washer and nut.

I think this is the right order?

I just can’t remember how it’s all supposed to go together! It all seems to fit ok, looks right too and I’ve poured some water over it and there’s no leaks inside the car. Fingers crossed I’ve done it right.
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

I think the order you're quoting is correct Dan although it's difficult to see on mine.
I've just taken off the drivers side wiper arm and dust cover; hope this shot helps.
Nige Image
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Brooksy wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:28 pm I think the order you're quoting is correct Dan although it's difficult to see on mine.
I've just taken off the drivers side wiper arm and dust cover; hope this shot helps.
Brilliant! Thanks so much for taking the pics, they really help.

It’s probably the only way to put it all together really. It all looks good and fits well. I’m not sure it would if I’d put the seal inside. The fact it doesn’t leak is a pretty good pointer too I suppose!

I wish I’d taken more photos before I took everything to bits really...

Thanks again!
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

:cool: no probs Dan. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Look forward to seeing more photos as things progress. Keep up the top work. :wave:
Nige Image