Handbrake rod touching rear spring ?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Handbrake rod touching rear spring ?

Post by Not_Anumber »

How much clearance should there be between the solid rod part of the handbrake cable and the n/s rear spring ?

Ive just refitted the axle and changed the rear brakes and whilst bolting it together spotted there is no clearance at all.
The o/s side *where the handbrake is operated by just the cable part) has clearance over the spring that side but on the n/s the metal rod part of the handbrake linkage is touching the top of the leaf spring.

Is this just maybe because

1. the brake adjusters in the drums are at their minimum hence there is no tension in the cable at present or
2. because I have the body propped on axle stands with the axle hanging on its springs ?
3. i got something, somewhere out of alignment ?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Handbrake rod touching rear spring ?

Post by stevemarl »

Is it a problem with the location bracket on the diff. cover as that could mean the whole assembly is too low? Can`t remember mine ever coming close to touching the spring, wherever it was jacked.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Re: Handbrake rod touching rear spring ?

Post by Not_Anumber »

It was a combination of 1 and 2. With the handbrake cable adjusted and the weight back on the wheels there is plenty of clearance again.