Propshaft/diff flange bolts with locktite?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Alex123
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser - Daily Driver

Propshaft/diff flange bolts with locktite?

Post by Alex123 »

Hi guys,
Having taken my prop shaft off after one of the joints seized (horrible vibration!) I noticed some blue on the bolts for the diff flange. I'm assuming this is locktite but I can't find any confirmation anywhere.
There wasn't any method of locking the bolts (washers or locking wire) when I took them off so it makes sense. Don't want the prop to come off while driving...
Would you put some more on when reassembling?

Thanks in advance.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Re: Propshaft/diff flange bolts with locktite?

Post by Not_Anumber »

Id put a bit more locktite on there just to be safe. It certainly wont do any harm to be careful
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Alex123 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:14 pm I noticed some blue on the bolts for the diff flange. I'm assuming this is locktite
I thought exactly the same as you once as regards to this :) But I think the bolts were actually blue in colour originally, it was Ford's way of indicating that they are high tensile bolts.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Paul`s right, it is to denote bolt strength, but whereas your `standard` HT blolts are 8.8 grade (as stamped on head), I believe the blue headed ones are `special` 10.9 (or maybe even 12.9?)grade. Anyway, they`re much stronger than normal HT, the pinch bolts on the steering flexible coupling are also the same grade and distinguished by blue heads, again because failure would be catastrophic. I would still put a spot of Loctite on the threads, it`s just good practice.

Link below to specs for different bolt types + if you need bolts these are a good safe supplier of genuine stock, you can`t necessarily trust ebay etc....
https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/Re ... _Spec.html