Cold Start Problems 2.8i

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
GT4
Car(s): 2.8 injection special

Cold Start Problems 2.8i

Post by GT4 »

Help!
So went for a long run a couple of weeks ago,all fine till the next day when she wouldn't start. She fires but wont run. I have changed fuel filter, pink relay, green relay, and coil, cleaned the WUR When sun was out yesterday managed to get it to start after several attemps and took for a run all fine and started on the button every time when warm. Tried again this morning fires but wont run. Bit colder this morning so thought it must be something to do with temp?
So, much to the wife's disgust put a heater in garage this afternoon left it for a couple of hours till warm and she fired up first time (the Capri not the wife! :lol: ) Anyone any idea what to try next?
Thanks in advance for any help,
Gary T.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Cold Start Problems 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

The main aids to cold starting are the WUR which you've looked at but can be a pain anyway, the 7th injector - pull it out, pop it in a jar and crank the engine which should give a spurt of fuel - and the auxiliary air valve. Pull the hoses off when the engine is cold and you should be able to see straight through. The valve closes as the engine warms but they can stick.

Where in Kent are you?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

In addition to Peter's great advice, this webpage is worth bookmarking:
https://www.zeepoort.nl/jetronic/K-Jetr ... oting.html
The troubleshooting section at the bottom is particularly helpful.

Andrew.
GT4

Post by GT4 »

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the reply, I will give that a go over the weekend.Is it easy enough to get the injector out? I live in Bromley, Will let you know how I get on.
GT4

Post by GT4 »

Thanks Andrew,
Will use that as a guide.
GT4

Post by GT4 »

Took out 7th injector and getting a good conical spray of fuel when cranked, took off the auxiliary air valve and although you can see through it, should it be a small hole like this?
Attachments
IMG_0102.jpg
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

GT4 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:36 pm Took out 7th injector and getting a good conical spray of fuel when cranked, took off the auxiliary air valve and although you can see through it, should it be a small hole like this?
That's about right. So if the injector and valve are both OK you are probably back to the WUR.
It allows a higher rate of fuel flow when the engine is cold. I know you said you have cleaned it but the common problem area is the gauze filter under the larger of the two banjo connections. It clogs up sometimes. Its tough to get the gauze out so I wouldn't necessarily recommend trying but have a good go at cleaning the area if you can.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
GT4

Post by GT4 »

Although they didn't look dirty I took WUR filters out and cleaned, also cleaned metering flap. Managed to get it running but died again after about 30 seconds. :banghead: