Weber 32/36 choke.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Weber 32/36 choke.

Post by pbar »

Allan mcl wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:37 pm the flaps will not open unless they are given a helping hand.
Allan mcl wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:27 pm I have tried that but they still stay open.
So, are the choke flaps stuck open or stuck closed? Or are they that stiff that they will only work if you push them with your fingers?
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Post by Allan mcl »

Hi

They will only work if I apply a bit of pressure.
Cheers.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

So they are sticking then instead of being loose and free. Could be crud in the linkages, perhaps spray with WD-40 to see if it loosens them up at all. Or failing that could be crud in the bimetallic spring housing or the spring itself is a problem. You would have to open the housing up and see what it's like in there, that spring reacts to the temperature of the coolant, and consequently adjusts the choke flaps as it expands/contracts with the heat. Very clever these cars, it's fascinating once you get into it.

No disrespect but your info is a bit sparse, all these quick one line replies don't offer many clues, people on here could do with more in depth information really to be more accurate and pin point where the issues may be.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

A manual choke conversion will give you a known result.
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Post by Allan mcl »

Thanks for your help, but I believe that I may have found the problem, after cleaning up the chambers and refiting the flaps as suggested they were still sticking. I removed the flaps again and refitted them one by one. The first one was sticking so adjusted on screws so it was free and repeated again for the second one .tried it this morning and all fine, will run it for a few days before saying it is fixed.