Weber 32/36 choke.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Weber 32/36 choke.

Post by Allan mcl »

New to the site, I have a 1600 laser with a twin choke weber. Trying to start it when cold is a bit of a bugger,it will start but will not revised up I need to keep pedal flat to the floor for a while b4 it will pick up. Once warm it runs great plugs are nice colour but bit of a flat spot on pulling away. Any ideas would be a great help.
Cheers
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Weber 32/36 choke.

Post by Paul G »

Get your ignition side right before touching the carb. try new points, properly gapped and preferably set with a dwell meter for accuracy, then your ignition timing accurately set and a fresh set of plugs, again properly gapped to the specification. You will be amazed at the difference this usually makes.
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Post by Allan mcl »

New plugs, points, condenser,dizzy capri and leads fitted. Points set with feelers, timming set at 8 degrees with strobe.runs great apart from cold start and sluggish at low speeds.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

After your new ignition parts and timing, have you set the mixture and idle on the carb? With poor starting and poor running at slow speed it sounds like the mixture might be too lean. Just a thought.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

And don't forget the valve clearances , if these ain't right nothing else will get it to run right :deadhorse:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Mc Tool wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:47 am And don't forget the valve clearances , if these ain't right nothing else will get it to run right :deadhorse:
:agree:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Has it only recently started being a problem to start ?

If yes, what have you changed or adjusted on the engine recently (even if this wouldnt seem related)

Does it have an auto or a manual choke ?
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Idle mix is probably too lean. Properly set up, especially on a 1600, a 32/36 weber can have the choke flaps completely removed and still start ok from cold. Check the accelerator pump jet diaphragm is ok - when you open the throttle quickly there should be a visible and audible squirt of petrol. As well as adding extra fuel for snap acceleration when driving, this should allow you to easily rev up when cold so I suspect it's not working.
Allan mcl

Post by Allan mcl »

Does have auto choke, flaps totally closed when cold but not sticking as I can move them easily.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

In my own experience this could be due to the autochoke coming off too quickly before the engine has warmed up sufficiently.

The quick fix always used to be to wait til the engine was cold and then remove the water hoses and rotate the domed assembly (that the hoses fit onto) by half a turn. Its located by 3 long, small headed bolts round its circumference so if it is difficult to turn, just loosen these screws slightly and you can rotate it. Refit the hoses pouring in a bit of water to minimise the chances of getting an air lock. Start the engine, let it warm up, assess if it is better or worse.

it is a bit better but coud still do with a bit more then take the hoses off again and give it another half turn.

However if it is worse than before then give it a full 360 degree turn in the opposite direction. Try it again.

Its worked for me.

If in doubt fit a manual choke conversion. I couldn't get any joy out of the autochoke on my last pinto engined car but a manual choke made all the difference and was quite easy to fit.
Allan mcl

Post by Allan mcl »

Removed the flaps as suggested, is there a different way that I need to start it when cold.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Allan mcl wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:16 pm Removed the flaps as suggested, is there a different way that I need to start it when cold.
You have actually taken off the choke flaps? Goodness me, bit drastic. Did you look at the carb mixture to see if it was too lean? Just curious to know.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Not_Anumber wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:45 pm

However if it is worse than before then give it a full 360 degree turn in the opposite direction.
There are marks on the housing which indicate lining the choke up to either stay on longer on go off quicker, but these changes are only a couple of mm. Not sure what you mean by a full turn?
Allan mcl

Post by Allan mcl »

Yes took the flaps off, car started no problem.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Well I'm pleased that's worked for you :) Will be interesting to know if you are happily running like this all the time, in the depths of winter, etc.
Allan mcl

Post by Allan mcl »

That will be the test, but won't be using it in the winter hopefully.
Allan mcl

Post by Allan mcl »

After a week of having no flaps I have decided to replace them. I believe that I may have found the problem, the flaps will not open unless they are given a helping hand. Any ideas what would cause this.
Cheers.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

You do know that you need to depress then release the gas pedal slightly before a c old start? (This lifts the fast idle screw off the cold start cam, allowing that to turn and close the flaps. It`s spring loaded.)
As Paul says, the housing usually only has a few degrees of movement either way to fine-tune the way the choke `tracks` the engine`s warming up needs, fast idle et cetera.
Allan mcl

Post by Allan mcl »

Thanks Steve, I have tried that but they still stay open.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

All I can suggest is that you , with a cold engine, loosen the 3 bolts securing thermal housing, and holding the throttle open with one hand (just to lift the screw off the fast idle cam so that can turn freely), turn the housing whichever way necessary until the flaps are just closed, then retighten. If slight turning doesn`t cause visible movement of the flaps, there must be a fault in the linkage/bi-metallic coil etc.