Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Post Reply
Cosmicbike
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:47 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by Cosmicbike » Mon May 06, 2019 4:18 pm

I think I'm going slightly mad. How many different variations on 'Blue' can there be :roll:

Does anybody know which blues were offered on a 1986 Laser? When I bought it I was told it's Paris blue, I can't make out the paint 'Colour/Coleur' on the VIN as it's a bit manky and I need to know so I can start the basics of bodywork.

User avatar
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Posts: 6597
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:57 am
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by Peter-S » Mon May 06, 2019 4:58 pm

Cosmicbike wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:18 pm
I think I'm going slightly mad. How many different variations on 'Blue' can there be :roll:

Does anybody know which blues were offered on a 1986 Laser? When I bought it I was told it's Paris blue, I can't make out the paint 'Colour/Coleur' on the VIN as it's a bit manky and I need to know so I can start the basics of bodywork.
Yep, I think it's blue!

It could be Paris blue although my first thought when you put a picture up was that its mineral blue, which is the same as my 2.0.
Mineral is a little darker than Paris
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr

stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Posts: 3853
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by stevemarl » Mon May 06, 2019 8:30 pm

I think slightly faded Mineral Blue.

User avatar
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 pm
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Re: Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by Brooksy » Mon May 06, 2019 8:37 pm

As Peter says...
I believe the only blues offered in 1986 were Paris and Mineral (both metallic).
Nige Image

Cosmicbike
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:47 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Re: Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by Cosmicbike » Mon May 06, 2019 9:10 pm

Righty ho, Paris or Mineral then. I read somewhere about there being a sticker in the boot somewhere which gives a colour code, so I'll have a dig tomorrow. Hopefully clean the diff outer too to try and ID where it's leaking (no mess on drive, but signs of leak on case).

User avatar
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 pm
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Re: Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by Brooksy » Mon May 06, 2019 9:31 pm

Cosmicbike wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:10 pm
Righty ho, Paris or Mineral then. I read somewhere about there being a sticker in the boot somewhere which gives a colour code, so I'll have a dig tomorrow. Hopefully clean the diff outer too to try and ID where it's leaking (no mess on drive, but signs of leak on case).
There may still be a a colour name sticker on the LHS metal panel (as you stand behind the car), under the boot false floor (near the rear washer bottle and motor). Also, check under the bonnet on the slam panel, RHS (as you stand in front of the car) there should be a plate stating amongst other the details, the colour?
Nige Image

User avatar
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 pm
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Re: Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by Brooksy » Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 am

Brooksy wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:31 pm
Cosmicbike wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:10 pm
Righty ho, Paris or Mineral then. I read somewhere about there being a sticker in the boot somewhere which gives a colour code, so I'll have a dig tomorrow. Hopefully clean the diff outer too to try and ID where it's leaking (no mess on drive, but signs of leak on case).
There may still be a a colour name sticker on the LHS metal panel (as you stand behind the car), under the boot false floor (near the rear washer bottle and motor). Also, check under the bonnet on the slam panel, RHS (as you stand in front of the car) there should be a plate stating amongst other details, the colour?
Nige Image

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6222
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by andyd » Tue May 07, 2019 5:52 am

Judging by pics in this thread viewtopic.php?f=17&t=52898 Too dark for Paris or Titan, either Mineral, Cobalt, Crystal or Caspian?

As Nige says have a look for sticker in boot near washer bottle :cheers:

Cosmicbike
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:47 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Re: Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by Cosmicbike » Tue May 07, 2019 6:24 am

The plate on the slam panel says CANTON-BLUE. I tried searching but have been unable to find reference to that as a colour. I'll have a mooch later.

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2666
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by Jasonmarie » Tue May 07, 2019 10:59 am

My car is mercury grey but on the plate it says Titan grey what is German
I only know a few words in German but don’t think they will help . :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
T.M.
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:26 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Re: Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by T.M. » Tue May 07, 2019 7:04 pm

Hi,
in this thread is written how to find colour:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=52549&start=20


Tom

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2666
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by Jasonmarie » Tue May 07, 2019 7:28 pm

T.M. wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:04 pm
Hi,
in this thread is written how to find colour:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=52549&start=20


Tom
They only go up to 83 as the Capri was only sold in the U.K. after that also they did new colours in 1986 .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
T.M.
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:26 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Re: Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by T.M. » Tue May 07, 2019 8:22 pm

Jasonmarie wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:28 pm

They only go up to 83 as the Capri was only sold in the U.K. after that also they did new colours in 1986 .
Yes, there are not complete info.
But for example mineral blue ("5 or S +year" in color box) and paris blue ("3 +year" in color box) are there on that czech VIN plate decoding web page.

Tom

Cosmicbike
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:47 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Re: Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by Cosmicbike » Tue May 07, 2019 9:31 pm

Well still stuck. Nothing in the spare wheel well. Vehicle plate says Canton Blue. From what I can make out the VIN says U7, which might be Caspian blue based on the info above. Then realised I have orginal bill of sale which says Crystal Blue. Does that even exist?

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6222
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by andyd » Wed May 08, 2019 5:51 am

Cosmicbike wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:31 pm
Well still stuck. Nothing in the spare wheel well. Vehicle plate says Canton Blue. From what I can make out the VIN says U7, which might be Caspian blue based on the info above. Then realised I have orginal bill of sale which says Crystal Blue. Does that even exist?
Yes Crystal Blue was a Capri colour, and according to Amazon U7 is the paintcode code for cars 1986 to 1989.

Cosmicbike
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:47 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Re: Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by Cosmicbike » Wed May 08, 2019 7:02 am

andyd wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:51 am
Cosmicbike wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:31 pm
Well still stuck. Nothing in the spare wheel well. Vehicle plate says Canton Blue. From what I can make out the VIN says U7, which might be Caspian blue based on the info above. Then realised I have orginal bill of sale which says Crystal Blue. Does that even exist?
Yes Crystal Blue was a Capri colour, and according to Amazon U7 is the paintcode code for cars 1986 to 1989.
Congratulations, you win the prize of a virtual pat on the back, thank you.

Paints4U description of 1986 U7 is 'Crystal-Canton Blue' which ties in nicely with the data plate, and paint XSC2078.


Thanks for the help all, now I can have a crack at some of the minor stuff

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2666
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by Jasonmarie » Wed May 08, 2019 8:33 am

We got there in the end , :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 6222
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by andyd » Wed May 08, 2019 9:32 am

Cosmicbike wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:02 am
andyd wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:51 am
Cosmicbike wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:31 pm
Well still stuck. Nothing in the spare wheel well. Vehicle plate says Canton Blue. From what I can make out the VIN says U7, which might be Caspian blue based on the info above. Then realised I have orginal bill of sale which says Crystal Blue. Does that even exist?
Yes Crystal Blue was a Capri colour, and according to Amazon U7 is the paintcode code for cars 1986 to 1989.
Congratulations, you win the prize of a virtual pat on the back, thank you.

Paints4U description of 1986 U7 is 'Crystal-Canton Blue' which ties in nicely with the data plate, and paint XSC2078.


Thanks for the help all, now I can have a crack at some of the minor stuff
No problem....That's just what we do here :cheers:

User avatar
T.M.
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:26 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Re: Is my Laser Blue, Blue or pehaps, Blue?

Post by T.M. » Thu May 09, 2019 9:03 am

Good detective work! ;)

Post Reply