Rattle Can Paint, Recommended Suppliers?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Rattle Can Paint, Recommended Suppliers?

Post by Cosmicbike »

In the longer term the Laser will get a proper paint job, but between now and then there are some minor patches that I want to deal with to stop them getting worse. Since proper paint is years away, and I don't want to be driving a patchwork blue and grey quilt, can anybody recommend a good place for rattle cans?
Ta
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Rattle Can Paint, Recommended Suppliers?

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

If you want a better result than the one you'll get with aerosols, you could try a HVLP spray gun, like this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Mains ... B01MTQEVX7
Neil (Sheff) has used one with amazing results:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=51089&hilit=hvlp
Your local automotive paint place will be able to supply some paint matched to your car.

Andrew.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I've used Paints4U.com and been pretty happy
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Peter-S wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:29 am I've used Paints4U.com and been pretty happy
Seconded. I`ve had aerosols mixed by them for a couple of small repairs in different colours and they`ve been spot on; blended in, the repair`s invisible. Plus the spray nozzle on their cans are the best I`ve ever used, a fine broad fan, not too heavy so it`s easy to apply. But, I wouldn`t recommend aerosols for anything other than small repairs, I wouldn`t do a Capri bonnet that way. The HVLP would be better option for that.
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

I'll have a mooch at paints4u then. I have an electric spray gun, a Wagner 550 IIRC which I have never used, though I suspect this will be better for fences as opposed to cars. Might be worth a go though, I have a spare front wing which I could play with....
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I had a Wagner, that`s the electric one with the piston rod assembly to pressurise the -paint? TBH, yes, much more suited to fences etc. I did try once but it was difficult to get it to work with the viscosity you need for a car panel, can`t remember, either needed to be too thick (orange peel) or too thin and running. Plus the spray pattern..... I`ve had better aerosols!
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

stevemarl wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:24 pm I had a Wagner, that`s the electric one with the piston rod assembly to pressurise the -paint? TBH, yes, much more suited to fences etc. I did try once but it was difficult to get it to work with the viscosity you need for a car panel, can`t remember, either needed to be too thick (orange peel) or too thin and running. Plus the spray pattern..... I`ve had better aerosols!
That's the one. I'm sure it's ok for fences, and maybe even emulsion (well, Craig off Big Brother seems to like them on QVC anyway!). Rattlecans it is, once I figure out which blue it is...
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I would go for HVLP personally, the paint goes a lot further and you'll get a better finish. Problem with cans is that you lose some of the pressure way before the can is empty and unless the can is specially mixed then even cans that are supposed to be the same colour often aren't.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

From the pic I`d say Mineral Blue? I think the code is xsc1901.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Might as well spend the money on a small compressor, such as the ones Aldi sell. You can spray paint all you want with those, with the added advantage of doing other compressory tasks. It's amazing the uses you can find for it :) The Aldi one comes with a kit of various accessories.