Complete electrical failure except one thing?!!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
jerome-v6
Car(s): ford capri 3.0s

Complete electrical failure except one thing?!!

Post by jerome-v6 »

Hi Guys, So I got my Capri back from the garage and it was working great, new battery great. then one day nothing, not even the ignition light comes on, not even a clunk, the engine doesn't make a peep
It has a newish high torque starter motor, newish high outout alternator, top of the range magnecor leads, a few years a top spec custom made wiring loom, new ignition coil, on paper this thing should start!
I re-sanded the earth lead to the wing - nothing, re-sanded the earth lead to the engine block, nothing, checked the negative terminal fine, checked all the wires, nothing, unplugged the wires to the starter motor and plugged it back in, checked every connector, fine. I replaced every fuse.
I know the system has power as I have an electric fuel pump with a dead mans switch that's totally independent of everything and that works fine when I turn it on.
I've ordered a multimeter and I''ll investigate everything from the battery and check to see where the voltage drops but until it arrives I have no idea!!

The only thing I can think of is maybe the ignition coil has gone? Would that stop the clock working as well?
Any ideas? Thanks Guys
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Re: Complete electrical failure except one thing?!!

Post by Not_Anumber »

No it cant be the coil because all that runs is the ignition circuit and you have already pointed out that its affecting everything except the separate electric fuel pump.

You have a break in one of the main wires in the loom.

Does your fuel pump have its own leads to both the + and - side of the battery or does it pick up its negative from elsewhere and just have its own cable to the + side of the battery ? If it's the latter then don't bother looking at the negative side as the fault must be with the positive.

When your multimeter arrives set it to a scale that measures 12 volts, turn the ignition key on, open the bonnet and anchor the negative test lead to the - side of the battery or any suitable earthing point and with the other test lead check for any sign of a voltage on any of the fuses. If there is nothing then you are looking at a break in the wire from the + side of the battery. (it will be the smaller one, not the heavy red one I should say). It would now be wise to remove the lower covers under the dash on the drivers side to give you access to the wiring loom on the underside of the fuse box and the wires to the ignition switch. Test anything you can find ! See where you can find a voltage, note it down and post this information back to the forum. One of us can then help you from there to trace it.
jerome-v6
Car(s): ford capri 3.0s

Post by jerome-v6 »

Wowzers! Thank you for taking the time to go into so much detail, the fuel pump get's it's earth and live from the battery, it doesn't pick it up from anywhere else, I'll Test the negative side fuses but yes a break in the positive wire does sound likely seeing as i've visually and physically checked every connection. I'll keep you updated!
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

As touched on above and given that a new battery has been fitted I would be looking at the small black wire that connects to the battery positive terminal. Is it still connected and if it is has it perhaps got a break near the connector.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

It does sound like the black wire. I had one break on a previous Capri years ago just where the wire went into the crimped terminal to the battery.. Took a while to find as the insulation was still in place so it looked intact. Its definitely a point of failure. My present one looked a bit tired so cut it back slightly and recrimped it.