Gaiter

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Bobpool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 1986 2.0 Laser
Ford Probe 2.5 V6

Gaiter

Post by Bobpool »

This might be a stupid question to some of you but...

The new gear gaiter- does it go under the black bit on the gearstick ? :whistle:

Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Re: Gaiter

Post by Brooksy »

Not sure if it applied to all models/years. Originally there may have been a rubber/foam insulator which went where the gap is at the base of the gear stick/transmission tunnel opening. The grey consol trim and gaiter sit over the gap. I cut some foam to size and used this to plug the actual gap (helps reduce road/gearbox noise) and then the gaiter/consol over the foam. Hope that makes sense.
Nige Image
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Post by Brooksy »

The gaiter should sit over the black bit as you have it in the photo. There should be a plastic collar (black?) which sits at the top of the gaiter, clamping the material. The collar stops the gaiter collapsing down on the lever but still allows movement when different gears are selected.

Not sure if it applied to all models/years. Originally there may have been a rubber/foam insulator which went where the gap is at the base of the gear stick/transmission tunnel opening. The grey consol trim and gaiter sit over the gap. I cut some foam to size and used this to plug the actual gap (helps reduce road/gearbox noise) and then the gaiter/consol over the foam. Hope that makes sense.
Nige Image
Bobpool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 1986 2.0 Laser
Ford Probe 2.5 V6

Post by Bobpool »

It does thank you.

I’ll have to source the missing gaiter cover now.