2.8i Overfuelling issues

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
gaz7952
Car(s): Capri 280 needs recommissioning

2.8i Overfuelling issues

Post by gaz7952 »

Hi All,

I have an overfuelling issue with my 2.8i all of the plugs are carboning up and it runs terribly warm or cold (ran it for 30 mins). It has been stood on and off for 12 years. So far I have done the following:

1. Checked the ignition system all ok new plugs, leads and coil.
2. New fuel (98 octane + Valvemaster plus)
3. New fuel filter
4. Checked operation of throttle butterfly
5. Checked the plunger in the metering head operates ok by moving the diaphragm plate up and down.

So where to next I want to try and follow the fuel path. Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers Gaz
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: 2.8i Overfuelling issues

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Gaz,
I find the info on this website very useful for troubleshooting:
https://www.zeepoort.nl/jetronic/K-Jetr ... oting.html

:goodluck:

Andrew.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

gaz7952 wrote:Hi All,

I have an overfuelling issue with my 2.8i all of the plugs are carboning up and it runs terribly warm or cold (ran it for 30 mins). It has been stood on and off for 12 years. So far I have done the following:

1. Checked the ignition system all ok new plugs, leads and coil.
2. New fuel (98 octane + Valvemaster plus)
3. New fuel filter
4. Checked operation of throttle butterfly
5. Checked the plunger in the metering head operates ok by moving the diaphragm plate up and down.

So where to next I want to try and follow the fuel path. Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers Gaz
When you say you have checked the plunger moves are you sure it does? Just because the air sensor plate moves freely it doesn't mean the plunger is. If you lift the air plate quickly up you might detect the plunger drop down a second later but if you are not certain then really you need to take the metering head off and check and clean the plunger if necessary.

You could also try disconnecting the 7th injector electrical connector (left side of the plenum as you stand in front of the car) in case it is running constantly.
The warm up regulator could also be an issue as it allows a richer mixture on cold start up and should restrict the flow as the engine warms up although if you have the problem from cold this seems an unlikely culprit.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Peter-S wrote:
gaz7952 wrote:Hi All,

I have an overfuelling issue with my 2.8i all of the plugs are carboning up and it runs terribly warm or cold (ran it for 30 mins).

You could also try disconnecting the 7th injector electrical connector (left side of the plenum as you stand in front of the car) in case it is running constantly.
I had this problem when I first had mine. It’s permanently disconnected now & ive had no further issues. It’s worth trying first as it’s so easy to disconnect before you start eliminating anything else.