sunroof stuck

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mattcapri
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser (project car)

sunroof stuck

Post by Mattcapri »

hi, right so i know dodgy sunroofs seem to be pretty common for capris, so im hoping someone has some advice for me!
basicaly its stuck shut, and one corner has dropped about 10mm, whereas the other corner is still flush with the roof.
i tried winding and un winding and wiggling it without being able to open it at all.
any tips?
cheers
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Re: sunroof stuck

Post by Not_Anumber »

Im sure more experienced people will be along with advice soon but I would suggest you start by carefully removing the sunroof section's headlining to provide more visibility of what is going on.

Then with someone else to help you carefully raise the corner which has dropped and (carefully) see if the sunroof can now be moved using the winder.

My guess is that one of the runners has come out, there are 4 of them.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

This is something I tried to tackle many years ago and left alone in the end ,but was surprised that Tickover sorted mine .
Best of luck
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

Hi

Try tilting it and push up on the back whilst doing it. Go gentle on the handle as I've snapped on before.
This should allow access to the adjustment screws as detailed in the haynes manual.

I couldn't open mine when I first bought it, it had been laid up a long time, turned out I had a field mouse living in the roof void and he'd been squirrelling nuts and food for winter into the drainage channels so it couldn't slide! Got the roof out this way over a 2 hr period of gentle persuasion wiggling and moving around.

Works a treat now, sadly the mouse met his end on a trap.

Olly W