Clonk while turning wheel

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

Clonk while turning wheel

Post by Jim »

Hey guys.

Last few times I have taken the car I get a massive clonk from the front of the car whilst reversing with the car on full lock (wheels turned to right looking from drivers seat).

The car almost lifts and drops as it is doing it.

Have read about the coil coming out of its cup?

Could it be this? If so, how easy is it to correct?

Many thanks guys.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Clonk while turning wheel

Post by pbar »

You can get it back in Jim if it has moved out of position, may need a few pairs of mole grips or similar to compress the spring to make it maneuverable. My MOT tester used this method once when he spotted it wasn't in place correctly.

You may wish to check that the spring hasn't snapped though.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I've got some spring compressors you can borrow James, will bring them to next weeks meeting.

Paul.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Paul G, thanks mate. It would be greatly appreciated if you could bring the spring compressors to the next meet.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Make sure the upper spring cups are oriented correctly as they don't turn with the strut so the spring is "wound" as the strut goes from lock to lock.
To orient correctly ,loosen both top strut nuts (on the top of the strut top mount under the bonnet ) then jack front wheels off the ground , get the ever willing and helpful spouse to move the steering from lock to lock a couple of times while you observe the afore mentioned nuts moving with the steering movement, with the wheels pointing straight ahead lower the car wheels back to ground and then tighten the strut nuts whilst ensuring the strut shaft doesn't turn ,you can hang on to the crank shaped fittings under the strut nut to stop this as those cranks ( and the top spring cups ) are keyed to the strut shaft. The manual makes mention of the correct orientation of said cranks to indicate the correct position of the shaft and spring cups but I can't remember whether they should be facing front to back or side to side
hth
Hamish
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Side to side with wheels straight ahead.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Thanks for the reply guys.

I took some photos:

The springs seem in the same location as the grooves but are they set a bit too far back?

With regards to the strut tops, in the above photos, the wheels are pointing straight ahead. Should the cranked ends being facing completely perpendicular to the wings or are the positions shown ok?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Apart from being caked in grease nothing looks particularly amiss.
If this is happening on full lock that will be when the most stress is being put on some of the components. I would be looking for sideways movement in the steering rack where the nearside (but check both sides) goes in to the rubber gaitor. Try grabbing it and moving side to side. It shouldn't really move. Check that the steering arm where it bolts on to the strut is not loose and examine the track rod end and the ball joint in the track control arm for movement. Probably need to jack the car and take the wheel off to examine it properly
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

The springs should have a piece of plastic tubing on the ends where they rest against the spring seats ( a bit of 1/2" garden hose will do ) , if they are missing any movement here at full lock will make a good dong as the spring resonates. When you think about the set up ,both springs wound the same way ....no left and right so turning the steering winds the springs up one way and unwinds them the other way, its no wonder peeps fit top mounts with bearings in them so that the whole strut and spring turns together.......the whole steering thing feels better , but they ain't cheap
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh