Modernising the Ford Capri

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Modernising the Ford Capri

Post by pbar »

It's a classic car, don't modernise it.

If you want modern features, just get a modern car, simple really.

It doesn't need it anyway, I've used mine as a daily, and it's very standard, and it was great.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

:agree: If you want all that electric trickery then stick to your Focus or buy a modern sports coupe like the Scirrocco. If you still want a Capri then upgrade your arm and leg muscles and learn to drive one as it was intended.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:It's a classic car, don't modernise it.

If you want modern features, just get a modern car, simple really.

It doesn't need it anyway, I've used mine as a daily, and it's very standard, and it was great.
Paul G wrote::agree: If you want all that electric trickery then stick to your Focus or buy a modern sports coupe like the Scirrocco. If you still want a Capri then upgrade your arm and leg muscles and learn to drive one as it was intended.
:sorry: But I have to agree.

Part of the fun is driving these cars without the mod cons.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

CazzaBee wrote:Hi All,

Im looking at purchisng a 2.0 Laser Fastback, but would like to modernise the capri as it would be ideally a daily driver.

To a lot of peoples horror.. i would like to retrofit ABS and ESP, modern ecu and power steering.

Not sure how many people have done this, if at all! but would love some feedback to see if it feesable.

Thanks

Cazza
Do you mind if I ask why...? Like everyone else, I don't really see why? Had mine as a daily for almost 7years and never had a problem where I needed/wanted it to have ABS/ESP - I always figured it didn't need it and if I did then I'd get another car ahah
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I suppose you could fit a Zetec engine but it takes the fun away ..... save your money and get a cheap run around
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

ABS? ESP? Hours and hours of hassle even if it could be done .
Power Steering? Possible with some effort but all three are a complete waste of time.

Suspect this is a wind up but if not let's welcome another muppet to the Laser Page.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

A bit like Dave I wonder if this is serious but ...

Most things can be done to a Capri. There's monstrous engines, 4wd and stuff so you can undoubtedly do want you want but it won't be bolt on bits so you're looking at a lot of work and probably expense. At this point, much as others have said, I don't see that point. You will be taking away the essence of the original car. Of course it would be your car so good luck with any conversion but I would say that I have had my 2.0 18 years this year during which time I have had several much newer and even new cars often with more whistles and bells than is really necessary. At no time have I ever wished that the Capri was more like one of my daily drivers.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar

Post by pbar »

Just to also add, that he/she hasn't got the Capri yet, and probably heard everyone saying how bad a car is with no ABS, no power steering, and so on, which as we know just isn't the case.

I can honestly say, my standard headlights, standard brakes, standard dash, standard steering (with correct tyres) have just never been an issue, I have driven in all weathers, all seasons, and those things have never been a concern.

I went out for a fun runaround last night in the dark for half an hour or so, snowed a little, but it's so much fun driving these cars, can't believe how much enjoyment it gives.
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Post by Brooksy »

Agree with the others.

As a 2.0 laser owner now and a former 2.0s owner, I have to say that I love the set up as it is. (Both standard). No they're not as cosetting as a modern car but it's not fair to compare it to one.

I also drive the modern family hatch with the PAS, EBD, ABS etc etc but when driving my Capri, it a different experience. You just adapt and are mindful of the fact you don't have all the modern kit (none the worse for it either I might add). I didn't buy the Capri to get a modern car feel. I bought a Capri because I love owning/driving one, simple as.

As already said by others here, it's up to you what you do but in my opinion, installing all the kit you mention, defeats the object.

If you want PAS as a minimum and budget will allow, consider a 2.8i or 3.0 Ghia/S.

Capri or not to Capri.

:drive:
Last edited by Brooksy on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nige Image
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Post by Brooksy »

:agree:
pbar wrote:Just to also add, that he/she hasn't got the Capri yet, and probably heard everyone saying how bad a car is with no ABS, no power steering, and so on, which as we know just isn't the case.

I can honestly say, my standard headlights, standard brakes, standard dash, standard steering (with correct tyres) have just never been an issue, I have driven in all weathers, all seasons, and those things have never been a concern.

I went out for a fun runaround last night in the dark for half an hour or so, snowed a little, but it's so much fun driving these cars, can't believe how much enjoyment it gives.
Nige Image
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

Why would you even want to???? :headscratch:
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Cazza, I hope you can return to the forum to discuss through your ideas.
Modification is possible but you would need to assess the cost versus benefit of each. There are enough modified capris around but most of these are resto mods, in other words cars that were in need of restoration and have been modified during that process e.g the engine was knackered so a choice was made to fit a Zetec rather than rebuild the original pinto etc
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

TBH, the very fact you`re actually asking if it can be done suggests that you don`t really have any idea of the MASSIVE complexity of ESP, specifically. Every single aspect of the car`s dynamics, pitch, yaw accel, decel..... all measured - and many will incorporate factors such as vehicle mass, weight distribution etc etc. into the algorithms. Just as a single example: the ecu knows where the front wheels are pointing because there is a sensor on the column telling it the steering wheel`s position. If you change any factor, the rack ratio, suspension, geometry, wheels - all it`s calculations are going to be `off` and you`ll have made the vehicle less safe than a Capri. What I`m trying to get across is ..... anything CAN be sorted, other than death and taxes, it can all be done. But even if you succeeded in grafting all the bits onto a Capri, honestly, you`d spend the rest of your life getting it to work correctly: I suspect you don`t have the resources, test beds, test tracks that Ford. Mercedes etc have at their disposal? . Capris are great as they are, try one - they`re fun! The electronic stuff only comes in to save nobs from themselves.
Thinking more and more this is a wind up?
ThatGuy
Car(s): 1986 2.0 laser

Post by ThatGuy »

The fuck the matter with everyone? If he buys a capri and wants to do anything to it why wouldn't everyone just give useful info/links instead of telling them it's a stupid idea and dont do it it's a classic.

Don't get me wrong I agree with Brooksy as in if you havnt driven a capri atall and just think it'll be shit then go test drive loads and see what works and what doesn't, if you still want to change things then do what the fuck you want, there is plenty of useful info on here, capripower, retroford and load of other forums so I'd plaster your questions on any and all forums and see what answers you get
Ratty as fuck
andyd

Post by andyd »

CazzaBee wrote:Hi all,

Really appreciate the feedback and apologies for not replying a lot sooner ( work has been a bit hectic!). First thing to say is the post wasnt a wind up and more just a geniune question.

I have been doing my research on getting a capri and have stalked this forum for a while looking at pros and cons.

I guess the main reason i had this thought - and as some of you corecctly said, i do not have any experience in cars at all - is to have a capri as my main/daily car and run it in all weather conditions and not wake up on a monday morning and thinking how greasy is the road going to be around a roundabout.

Ill still end up purchasing a capri if these mods are going to be insane to do/ not worth the effort, but might not be a few years down the road when i can justify having a weekend car.

Appreciate everyones input regardless, some good comments to read through.
Welcome to the forum.
A few people on here drive their Capri on a daily/weekly basis, and if it's looked after as you would any car there's no reason it should let you down.
Don't get me wrong, it's a million miles away from driving a newer car, even down to the seating position and narrow windscreen etc, and you sometimes have to plan ahead somewhat in the braking and steering areas :lol:

Maybe drive a couple to see if it's really for you, and if so buy the best Capri you can afford, and if you go for a 2.8 or 3.0 you will at least have power steering :cheers:
Last edited by andyd on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

CazzaBee wrote: I guess the main reason i had this thought - and as some of you corecctly said, i do not have any experience in cars at all - is to have a capri as my main/daily car and run it in all weather conditions and not wake up on a monday morning and thinking how greasy is the road going to be around a roundabout.
I still drive mine everyday regardless of the weather - had two inches of snow last night so I drove home in it first off, then drove again this morning on some very icy roads - if you drive sensibly then I don't think you need any of the modern razz?
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
pbar

Post by pbar »

D366Y wrote:
I still drive mine everyday regardless of the weather - had two inches of snow last night so I drove home in it first off, then drove again this morning on some very icy roads - if you drive sensibly then I don't think you need any of the modern razz?
Respect for driving yours all the time Danny, love it when I see people doing that. I've driven a Capri also in just the weather you are describing. And not once did I think oh no how can I cope! I honestly have never had an issue nor did I ever consider that 'this would be better in a modern car'.

It does bewilder me when I see comments like I wish to drive my Capri a lot so I'm 'upgrading' this and that. It's simply not required and I just don't see the point.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Really appreciate the feedback and apologies for not replying a lot sooner
Thanks for coming back and I hope you don't think that the comments are an attack, it's a nice friendly bunch around here, a good forum to be a part of and people are just honest without the bull. You have an interest in the Capri and that makes you a welcome part of it :)

In all honestly, I personally feel that once you have a Capri and have driven it for a little while and got used to it, then you will be wondering why you made the initial post in the first place. Personally I love the driving experience and wouldn't want to change anything, whether driving as a daily or now and again.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:

Really appreciate the feedback and apologies for not replying a lot sooner
Thanks for coming back and I hope you don't think that the comments are an attack, it's a nice friendly bunch around here, a good forum to be a part of and people are just honest without the bull. You have an interest in the Capri and that makes you a welcome part of it :)

In all honestly, I personally feel that once you have a Capri and have driven it for a little while and got used to it, then you will be wondering why you made the initial post in the first place. Personally I love the driving experience and wouldn't want to change anything, whether driving as a daily or now and again.
:agree: Plenty of knowledge and access to reasonably priced spares on here too.
pbar

Post by pbar »

CazzaBee wrote:capri as my main/daily car and run it in all weather conditions and not wake up on a monday morning and thinking how greasy is the road going to be around a roundabout.
....And don't take too much notice of the legendary 'the back is always drifting out, you need extra weight in the boot, etc, etc.' kind of talk, there are plenty of Capri myths out there, I've lost track of the people who tell me they used to have a 3.3 litre. Which didn't even exist.