headlights

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
chris_v888
Car(s): pontiac formula 400 (restoration project)

headlights

Post by chris_v888 »

my head lights seam really dull I've seen briter candals is there anything briter I can use or can I get HDMI kit to fit? thanks for any help
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: headlights

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

chris_v888 wrote:my head lights seam really dull I've seen briter candals is there anything briter I can use or can I get HDMI kit to fit? thanks for any help
Hi Chris,
You can't fit an hid headlight conversion kit now as it's against the law.
A better option would be to use Osram Nightbreaker bulbs, people who have done this say they make a difference.

:goodluck:

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

What about fitting some e30 projectors and updated bulbs
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I wouldnt go for HDMI instead of your Capri headlamps. Even very bright TV screens with high definition content wouldnt be as bright as proper headlamps and it could be a bugger to find nice round ones that would fit in the surrounds. ;)
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I've just bought and fitted these bulbs - make a surprising difference and I was pretty impressed!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote:I've just bought and fitted these bulbs - make a surprising difference and I was pretty impressed!
Hi Danny,
They look good, and that's a great price. Good old carparts4less!
Did you use the standard bulbs or change to Osram Nightbreakers?

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Hi Danny,
They look good, and that's a great price. Good old carparts4less!
Did you use the standard bulbs or change to Osram Nightbreakers?

Andrew.
Can never go wrong with Carparts4less!!
And I just swapped the bulbs - I was hoping to go for a whiter effect on the lights which is another reason I went for these over the nightbreakers as well
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
chris_v888

Post by chris_v888 »

thanks all i did fit hdmi lights sorry for the late reply had bad brake up with my wife . :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

chris_v888 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:46 am had bad brake up with my wife . :beer:
Oh dear, sorry to hear that. I hope everything works out OK.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Gasp ! :o ....she took the Capri :?
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
chris_v888

Post by chris_v888 »

na got the car in bit of a sorry state but everyone round hear loves it lol she just left me in some bad debt but thanks all for help once i get sorted ill get round to sorting the littel bits of rust on the arch and bit on the seil? so thanks all,
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I just went for these ones and have been really happy with them. I certainly don't struggle at all with night driving and it's something I do frequently.

80s-new-man
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 Cosworth Dec 1984, reg. Feb 1985
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9 1992
Jaguar XJR SC 4.0 2001

Post by 80s-new-man »

Hi, is there an easy way to get both twin lamps on dip and both twin lamps on full? I never understood why cars have twin lamps and just have a single set on at any one function.
I heard that it can be done with a relay and some extra wiring, and maybe different “dual function “ bulbs, preferably the brightest...I would like to get these parts, any info greatly appreciated...
I intend to ask someone to fit them as I can see a whole weekend wasted and the air turning blue!
:lol:
Cheers
:cheers:
Capri 2.9i Special 1984 Cossie 24v BOB heart transplant
Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Jaguar XJR 4.0 SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

80s-new-man wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:21 pm Hi, is there an easy way to get both twin lamps on dip and both twin lamps on full? I never understood why cars have twin lamps and just have a single set on at any one function.
Hi,
Have a look at this thread, it will tell you all you need to know about the light conversion.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=51401&p=352082&hil ... ts#p352082

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

80s-new-man wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:21 pm I never understood why cars have twin lamps and just have a single set on at any one function.
The construction and use regulations specify only 2 dipped beams, but up to 6 mains (depending on vehicle width) which is why Jags, Stags, Interceptors and Capris - none of them ever came with 4 dips, but could have all 4 beams on.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/made

SCHEDULE 4
PART I Requirements relating to obligatory dipped-beam headlamps and to optional dipped-beam headlamps to the extent specified in part ii

1. Number–
(a) Any vehicle not covered by sub-paragraph (b), (c), (d) or (e) Two

If you have H4 outers, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HELLA-1L3002 ... 2749.l2649
it`s quite easy to get all 4 beams on. If you switch to beam, the dipped lamp stays on, so it`s just a matter of fitting a relay so that main beam switches over the supply from the dipped filament to the Beam filament (in the H4 outer bulb). Minimal rewiring, original fuses still protect and it fits neatly between lamps.
pbar

Post by pbar »

What is the benefit of having 4 main beams? I can see the advantage of 4 dipped beams for enhanced night driving, although illegal, but why 4 mains? Surely on the occasions that a main beam is warranted, the intensity of the original 2 is easily bright enough?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Paul,
it`s not the `visible` extra brightness, it`s the extra distance it throws the light, it really does mean you can see that much further down the road, which if you`re on a fast road in the country at night is really helpful. (I do like the Cat & Fiddle at night ;-) Dipped, on the other hand, however many, however bright, will only ever light so far up the road. Ironically, you know I had LED H4s fitted for a time, the dipped beam was much, much brighter and whiter with those, it really was `night and day` to look at. BUT in reality, could I actually see any better, - no! Because the thing limiting the dipped beams is the fact, however bright they are they cut off so many yards down the road and everything beyond is invisible, so really it lit up things (I could already see perfectly well with normal bulbs) more brightly, but didn`t help me see further ahead which is what I wanted. Hence back on halogens.
I did read some stuff about HID vLED v Halogen (slightly off topic) which found that the HID was much more intense immediately in front of the source but as the distance from source increased the difference became less and less, to the point where XXX metres down the road an object would be illuminated just as well by tungsten. As though the quality of the light was different in some way? It`s an interesting subject, for eg, I read somewhere else that whilst bluish light appears the brightest, the human eye (or brain?) is actually much better at judging distance, space, speed and detail at the yellow end of the spectrum. You`d think the opposite. I know with the LED mains if you got a road sign, the reflected light back was absolutely blinding, the Nightbreakers are just as effective but subjectively much easier to live with.
Just my thoughts, but I paid a fair amount of money for proper Philips LED H4s which are now back in their box.
EDIT: Apologies - I do start to ramble on when I get started, sos!
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks Steve :)