Alternator rating

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Alternator rating

Post by Peter-S »

I've had an intermittent dull glow from the charging light on the dash recently which strangely seemed worse at higher revs. Anyway out in the dark and rain 50 miles from home yesterday evening it was glowing like a good 'un so might be time to swap the alternator. I have an old spare but, as Christmas is coming (so I've heard), I thought I might treat the old girl to a new one! However there's lots of output ratings available 35A, 45A, 55A even 75A. Any thoughts on the best one to go for?
It's for the 2.0 with a couple of extras like electric fan and fog lights.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Alternator rating

Post by Jasonmarie »

I had a really quick look and not sure what one you have but is this kit any good ?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1669312542
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

[quote="Jasonmarie"]I had a really quick look and not sure what one you have but is this kit any good

Can’t upload link “ hang on “
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Peter-S wrote:I've had an intermittent dull glow from the charging light on the dash recently which strangely seemed worse at higher revs. Anyway out in the dark and rain 50 miles from home yesterday evening it was glowing like a good 'un so might be time to swap the alternator. I have an old spare but, as Christmas is coming (so I've heard), I thought I might treat the old girl to a new one! However there's lots of output ratings available 35A, 45A, 55A even 75A. Any thoughts on the best one to go for?
It's for the 2.0 with a couple of extras like electric fan and fog lights.
Standard is a 45amp but with the extras it can't hurt going to a 55amp so long as your battery is also up to it. My Laser has an 097 battery with a 54 amp rating. A dim glow ususally means a diode ih the rectifyer is about to go,

I think the 35 amp alternator would have only suited a 1.6 base with no heated rear window or rear wash/wipe and other electrical toys.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

God knows what I did with my first post that come up with the wrong link and doubled .
Yes I have a 097 battery fitted in mine the same as the 2.8i
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Paul G wrote: Standard is a 45amp but with the extras it can't hurt going to a 55amp so long as your battery is also up to it. My Laser has an 097 battery with a 54 amp rating. A dim glow ususally means a diode ih the rectifyer is about to go,

I think the 35 amp alternator would have only suited a 1.6 base with no heated rear window or rear wash/wipe and other electrical toys.
Thanks Paul.
I 'borrowed' a battery from the 2.8 a couple of years back so 55A sounds the way to go.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Peter-S wrote:I 'borrowed' a battery from the 2.8 a couple of years back so 55A sounds the way to go.
Hi Peter, I got a 55A one too on my Pinto as a couple of years back I remember I was deciding between either the 45a or 55a and decided to go 'up' as I have Bosch battery at a higher rating than standard.
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Hi Peter, I got a 55A one too on my Pinto as a couple of years back I remember I was deciding between either the 45a or 55a and decided to go 'up' as I have Bosch battery at a higher rating than standard.
Cheers Nick.
Almost surprised that the old girl started this morning so I guess the old alternator must be doing something but a shiny new one is on the way :)
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I remember in the late 80s the alternator went on the 1.6L I had and I replaced it with a 2nd hand one from a Mk2 Granada Ghia. It was a much larger unit but the mounting points were the same so I just swapped over the pulley. It charged the battery better and coped with all the electrics on at the same time without dimming the lights. For the minimal extra weight I'd recommend increasing alternator size rather than a like for like replacement.
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

55a is fine for what you require there Peter.

Olly W