2.8i runs for 5 minutes only

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
dunmorsl
Car(s): ac cobra with 2.8i xr4 based ,

2.8i runs for 5 minutes only

Post by dunmorsl »

Hi I have a 2.8i I have just fitted a second hand engine wil all the original parts from original faulty engine that seized up ,it has good compression starts on the button from cold but only runs for 5 minutes and cuts out , will not start again until the engine is cold. I have checked the basics does anyone have any ideas to a solution to this frustrating problem.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: 2.8i runs for 5 minutes only

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum. :welcome:
Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Capri.
Try working your way through the troubleshooting checklist for "Engine fails to start or is difficult to start when warm" at the bottom of the page:
http://www.zeepoort.nl/jetronic/K-Jetro ... oting.html

:goodluck:

Andrew.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Check the gauze filter on the inlet to the warm up regulator. When the engine is cold more fuel is allowed to flow through the regulator but it closes off as the engine warms. Could be other things too but I'd start there.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
T.M.
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Post by T.M. »

Just stupid question. Isn't idle set screw fully tighten?
If engine is cold, air goes through auxiliary air device. Then when device is warm, it's closed and air can't go through.
Only an idea.

Tom
dunmorsl

Post by dunmorsl »

hi Tom thanks for reply ,after many new parts and time the issue has now been found and it was a restricted return fuel pipe on the metering head, it had a kink in it which would only allow car to run from cold .I found this due to looking through other posts in forum .
dunmorsl

Post by dunmorsl »

Peter-S wrote:Check the gauze filter on the inlet to the warm up regulator. When the engine is cold more fuel is allowed to flow through the regulator but it closes off as the engine warms. Could be other things too but I'd start there.
hi peter thanks for reply ,after many new parts and time the issue has now been found and it was a restricted return fuel pipe on the metering head, it had a kink in it which would only allow car to run from cold .I found this due to looking through other posts in forum .