Best exhaust system

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5503
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Best exhaust system

Postby andyd » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:28 pm

pbar wrote: I've found that the Mikalor clamps are so good (far better than the standard U ones), that paste is not needed anyway.

I ordered a pair of these clamps today.

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5242
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Best exhaust system

Postby pbar » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:53 pm

andyd wrote:
pbar wrote: I've found that the Mikalor clamps are so good (far better than the standard U ones), that paste is not needed anyway.

I ordered a pair of these clamps today.


Excellent, hope you are as impressed with them as I am Andy.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5503
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Best exhaust system

Postby andyd » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:26 pm

pbar wrote:
andyd wrote:
pbar wrote: I've found that the Mikalor clamps are so good (far better than the standard U ones), that paste is not needed anyway.

I ordered a pair of these clamps today.


Excellent, hope you are as impressed with them as I am Andy.


They can't be any worse than the exhaust clamps fitted at the moment Paul!

Bought mine from Ebay, £1.80 each inc postage (47 to 51mm). Arrived lunchtime and fitted....Very good clamps :D
I will probably use one on the bottom rad pipe next time I change the coolant, just need to find out the required size beforehand....

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 11830
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Best exhaust system

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:27 pm

andyd wrote:I will probably use one on the bottom rad pipe next time I change the coolant, just need to find out the required size beforehand....

42mm O.D , Andy. :D
One thing that strikes me about these clamps is that they have a much smaller operating range than traditional hose clamps. The old style clamp for the bottom hose can be used on hoses varying from 30-45mm, a range of 15mm, whereas the T-bolt clamps only vary 5mm from min to max. Better measure everything accurately or risk buying the wrong one....

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5503
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Best exhaust system

Postby andyd » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:32 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:I will probably use one on the bottom rad pipe next time I change the coolant, just need to find out the required size beforehand....

42mm O.D , Andy. :D
One thing that strikes me about these clamps is that they have a much smaller operating range than traditional hose clamps. The old style clamp for the bottom hose can be used on hoses varying from 30-45mm, a range of 15mm, whereas the T-bolt clamps only vary 5mm from min to max. Better measure everything accurately or risk buying the wrong one....

Andrew.

:cheers: Andrew.
That's a 40 to 43mm at £1.70 then :lol:

:agree: not much room for error....Luckily I had the exhaust off cuts to measure, I would have been buggered without them :?

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 11830
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Best exhaust system

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:39 pm

andyd wrote: :agree: not much room for error....Luckily I had the exhaust off cuts to measure, I would have been buggered without them :?

I used calipers to check the bottom hose, so my measurement should be accurate. Otherwise, as you say, it could involve a bit of guesswork.
I've just bought six black ones for my exhaust. :D

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5503
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Best exhaust system

Postby andyd » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:53 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote: :agree: not much room for error....Luckily I had the exhaust off cuts to measure, I would have been buggered without them :?

I used calipers to check the bottom hose, so my measurement should be accurate. Otherwise, as you say, it could involve a bit of guesswork.
I've just bought six black ones for my exhaust. :D

Andrew.

In my case measure 26 times, buy once :lol:

I will be checking yours at Haynes :D

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5242
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Best exhaust system

Postby pbar » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:14 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:One thing that strikes me about these clamps is that they have a much smaller operating range than traditional hose clamps.


In all honesty, I have found them to have a much greater range than is listed.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5503
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Best exhaust system

Postby andyd » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:45 pm

pbar wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:One thing that strikes me about these clamps is that they have a much smaller operating range than traditional hose clamps.


In all honesty, I have found them to have a much greater range than is listed.

I'm sure there was more than 4mm extra play in mine....

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5503
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Best exhaust system

Postby andyd » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:09 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:I've just bought six black ones for my exhaust. :D

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,
Have the clamps arrived yet?

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 11830
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Best exhaust system

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:54 pm

andyd wrote:Have the clamps arrived yet?

Hi Andy,
Yes, they arrived during the week. I bought a full set of six from this seller:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/mikalorhoseclipsclamps
I haven't fitted them yet, although I did a quick trial fit to make sure that I bought the correct sizes.

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5503
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Best exhaust system

Postby andyd » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:11 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:Have the clamps arrived yet?

Hi Andy,
Yes, they arrived during the week. I bought a full set of six from this seller:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/mikalorhoseclipsclamps
I haven't fitted them yet, although I did a quick trial fit to make sure that I bought the correct sizes.

Andrew.

Same seller I got mine from :)