Heater & Engine Temp Gauge Linked..?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
rgntcapri
Car(s): 1. Ford Capri genuine X-pack project
2. Ford Capri 2.0 Daily

Heater & Engine Temp Gauge Linked..?

Post by rgntcapri »

Hello , My only gauge on my 1.6 body , 2.0 powered capri, that does not work, is my engine temperature gauge. My heater also doesnt work at all. I'm not sure where to start as the engine does'nt show any sign of overheating. Im using a cosworth alloy radiator. Hoses are in good shape. Pipes feel warm/hot when engine is running throughout after a short drive. Long drives have not affected performance. Electric fan also fitteed.
any help or advice would be greatly appreciated - cheers!

- R
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Heater & Engine Temp Gauge Linked..?

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Welcome to rhe forum.
I would start with testing/replacing the temperature sender. I'm not sure where they are located on the Pinto engine, although somebody will know. Before buying a new one, make sure that you are getting a 5V feed when the ignition is on.
https://www.tickover.co.uk/shop/content ... /p711.html

Andrew.
rgntcapri
2. Ford Capri 2.0 Daily

Post by rgntcapri »

Cheers Andrew! Done a little google and they reckon its near the front of the engine, i'm looking for a brass connector, ill snap my elecrical measuring tool on the end with the ignition on and check for a 5v reading, got lots of capri jobs to do today hehe , thanks!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I've just re-read your original post. The heater and the engine temperature gauge aren't linked, sadly.
The main suspect for the non-working heater would be the heater motor or it's fuse. The replacement motor is available to buy new if needed although, unfortunately, the job is more difficult and more expensive than replacing the temp sender.......
If you do a search on this forum you should be able to find a thread that discusses in detail how to replace it.

It might be a good idea to first check the fuses and clean the contacts, in particular fuse 5 ( that's the one with the single black/red/yellow wire) in the fusebox on the bulkhead.

:goodluck:

Andrew.
rgntcapri
2. Ford Capri 2.0 Daily

Post by rgntcapri »

I just figured because i thought , last time i had the heater off, it connected to the coolant system with 2 pipes at the back, but its been a couple of years *scratches head* and thought as they were both inoperative maybe I could hit 2 birds with 1 stone. Yes , ill clean the fuse box up and its connectors today, and do some readings. got some other issues in another post to also attend too today , so after cleaning up connectors i have to try and get her to move on her own power.. then i can come home and read up about replacing the heater motor if i need too.. thanks andrew! :)