Emissions test...

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Emissions test...

Post by Mr B »

Hi all,

Quick question, is a 1980 3 litre Capri subject to an emissions test, last year the MOT station I took her too said she is too old and doesn't need one but this year I had to go to a different MOT station and the examiner insisted she did need one, after a bit of heated debate he backed down and omitted it from the test, I looked up my car on the DVLA website and there isn't any emissions data available for my car, so how can an emissions check be carried out if there is no original data to compare the test results too!!!!

Someone please enlighten me

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Emissions test...

Post by Paul G »

Any car manufactured after 1975 is technically due to have an emissions test and musn't have more than 4.5% CO.

You are right in saying that some MOT testers don't bother testing it, mine doesn't, but they do look for excess smoke coming out.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

If it's a 1980 then it should have the emissions tested, also as it's a V6 there should be readings done on both banks and the emissions combined to give the final reading.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Thanks for reply's guy's, but it does beg the question that if the car is supposed to have an emissions check how did she pass her MOT, is there some provision in the test that allows the car to pass without having the emissions test done?

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I had my car MOT this week and got a emissions sheet with how much the car can give and how much it done also I noted at the bottom it said my oil reached a Temperature and the fan kick in ? Yes the fan kick in what I don’t know how the new ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:I had my car MOT this week and got a emissions sheet with how much the car can give and how much it done also I noted at the bottom it said my oil reached a Temperature and the fan kick in ? Yes the fan kick in what I don’t know how the new ?
I imagine that the tester didn't realise that it's a viscous fan and reported that it was turning. Remember that almost all, if not all, modern cars have electric fans that don't turn until they kick in.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes I never thought of that , makes sense now . I did wonder how they New the fan kick in . Cheers Andrew your not just a great tree climber . :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: