Old car dealer stickers

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
User avatar
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 pm
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Re: Old car dealer stickers

Postby Brooksy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:13 pm

andyd wrote:
Brooksy wrote:New repro dealer sticker in place (thanks DMB Graphics) and number plates (thanks Proplates).
Very pleased with both.


If I hadn't already bought new plates, I would have got some dealer stamped from this company....


Cheers Andy.

Both firms are great. DMB recreated the sticker from measurements and a photo of a tired original sticker.

Proplates were the only plate company that said the could reproduce the font and the background feint horizontal lines (all other Co's just said the font/design was no longer available). Photo doesn't really do it justice.

:cheers:
Last edited by Brooksy on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nige Image

Daz-RSK
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:23 pm
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Re: Old car dealer stickers

Postby Daz-RSK » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:04 pm

Those plates look great Brooksy. Has a real touch of classic about them. :cool:

Not referring so much to these plates as it would be quite confounding as to why any auto readers won't pick these up - but just a word of caution to any of you who think the personalised plates with incorrect font / spacing is cool.

This isn't me laying down the law in front of any you. This is more a personal situation that I found myself in where I would never consider doing this.

I was staring at a £15,000 black hole in debt in 2009 and thankfully, the fact that I had correct sized/spaced font on my plates, I was advised that this was saving grace that I got my car back. I sold a car to a scammer who paid me with rogue credit card and bankers draft cheque. the credit card was used to settle the finance outstanding on the motor direct and I received clearance from the finance company that the outstanding balance had cleared. I let the car go and then was warned that all the proceeds received were fraudulent.

I tell you what - that is a day that would never like to re-live!!!

Yes, we can all laugh at the plod stating that the speed cameras don't pick up the "illegal" plate and therefore, people getaway with murder on the streets. It's that thinly veiled threat that if you don't comply with the law with number plates, you might not comply with the law on other road usage items.

But since 2009, I never looked at it that way. I look at it as some form of self preservation that my car will be picked up by ANPR, hopefully, and the tea leaves caught, before destruction/disappearance sets upon my motor. That is what happened in 2009 - the ANPR picked up the stolen motor on the M1 and how thankful am I for that. For me, that would be far more significant than evading / trying to evade speed cameras or other road usage forms of ANPR that some plod would tell me why I shouldn't have these plates.

As said, I am not preaching to anyone here. All I am doing is stating that self preservation of our Capri's is paramount, I am sure. If after being stolen (and given the price of these as classics today, there is always that threat with us), there is this slim hope that your car would return to you before it disappears / damage is done, down to the plates, I am sure you all would take that.

As for what the ANPR can read / can't read, I have no idea. So I make the assumption that the system is rubbish and anything that doesn't conform to what a plate should look like might have an issue. That is an assumption because I am not arrogant enough to say I know what data can be collected.

User avatar
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 pm
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Re: Old car dealer stickers

Postby Brooksy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:56 pm

Thanks for your comments and info; the relief you felt must have been off the scale. No doubt there are many motorists who wished they'd had the same precence of mind!

I have retained the plates that accompanied the car but simply wish to recreate (where the originals aren't still in existence), as many of the original features of my Capri as possible. I have an old photo showing it wearing these plates and a fellow laser owner (same supplying dealer) still has the original plates of the same design.

No doubt some will choose certain plate designs for show (each to their own) but as my children frequently remind me, being cool is a trait I definitely don't have.
:lol:

Like you, I'm not aware of what font, background etc, the ANPR system can recognise. However, if after futher investigation, these plates either don't comply with current MOT regulations and or ANPR, then I'll definitely revert to using the other plates for the road and retain these recreated dealer plates as "car show" plates. Incidentally, the character size, spacing and dimensions of the actual plates match the ones that came with the car, so at least these areas appear correct.

I wonder if the purpose of this particular font/design was experimental, to aid visual recognition in less than favourable weather/light conditions? (a thin grey line runs through each character). By the same token, perhaps it was later discontinued because ANPR was unable to read the font/design for some reason?

As you say, taking steps to keep our Capri's in their rightful hands is something we should all take seriously. I, like all of us I'm sure, am thrilled to be the current custodian of one of these wonderful cars and wish that to continue for as long as I decide, not somebody else!

:)
Nige Image

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1984
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Old car dealer stickers

Postby Jasonmarie » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:24 am

Number plates all I did have black and silver plates made up that I think look good on the car I also drove to the Capri show this year (2018) with them but when we went to the ace I swap the original plates back .As the ANPR police are always at the tunnel .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

Daz-RSK
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:23 pm
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Re: Old car dealer stickers

Postby Daz-RSK » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:18 pm

Yes, be careful with the black and silver plates. Someone above said that there was a year that they were outlawed from being placed on later registered vehicles - M reg / 1973 I think - and it's not a rolling date, like other classic motoring rules, therefore, they are an easy pull on even a Mk3 Capri. I know they're old - but not that old. :D

Yes, I was very thankful the car came back when it was stolen and very lucky. The insurance company ran a mile because I had handed the keys to the thief, effectively. Theft by deception is not covered by your insurance company, unfortunately. If you physically hand your keys to someone and they take your car, you've had it. the to add insult, because I had called the insurance company for them to tell me to go away, they then hiked up my premium the following year because I became a statistic they didn't like.

Sorry, please don't take offence to any of the preaching I post here and please take this with the good heart I am meaning this. I would like your Capris to be safe!

If you have a picture of your car with plates shown on here, just hold them up there for as long as you can and then remove the picture or take another picture with the plate obscured or take a different picture angle. Bit difficult with this thread as we are trying to show the plates we have, I realise. :D But this is important.

There are ways to identify your home address from your plate. I don't know how nor do I want to know. But I know that some people can an not for good reasoning. If that info falls into the wrong hands, at best, if your car does not reside near your home address, damage may still be done to your property with someone trying to obtain the keys. At worst, your Capri goes.

Just a helpful hint - that is all. Never show all of the plate or divulge all of the plate. As the police told me and I was also aware before they did advise me - there is a lot of info about you on the front and back of your car.

Keep your Capri's safe chaps!! :)

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5580
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Old car dealer stickers

Postby andyd » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:02 pm

Daz-RSK wrote:
If you have a picture of your car with plates shown on here, just hold them up there for as long as you can and then remove the picture or take another picture with the plate obscured or take a different picture angle. Bit difficult with this thread as we are trying to show the plates we have, I realise. :D But this is important.

There are ways to identify your home address from your plate. I don't know how nor do I want to know. But I know that some people can an not for good reasoning. If that info falls into the wrong hands, at best, if your car does not reside near your home address, damage may still be done to your property with someone trying to obtain the keys. At worst, your Capri goes.

Just a helpful hint - that is all. Never show all of the plate or divulge all of the plate. As the police told me and I was also aware before they did advise me - there is a lot of info about you on the front and back of your car.

Keep your Capri's safe chaps!! :)

I think we have to do as much as we can to keep our cars safe, and if this helps.... :cheers:

User avatar
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 pm
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Re: Old car dealer stickers

Postby Brooksy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:33 am

andyd wrote:
Brooksy wrote:New repro dealer sticker in place (thanks DMB Graphics) and number plates (thanks Proplates).
Very pleased with both.

Nice one Nige :D

If I hadn't already bought new plates, I would have got some dealer stamped from this company....
Nige Image

User avatar
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 pm
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Re: Old car dealer stickers

Postby Brooksy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:56 pm

Daz-RSK wrote:Yes, be careful with the black and silver plates. Someone above said that there was a year that they were outlawed from being placed on later registered vehicles - M reg / 1973 I think - and it's not a rolling date, like other classic motoring rules, therefore, they are an easy pull on even a Mk3 Capri. I know they're old - but not that old. :D

Yes, I was very thankful the car came back when it was stolen and very lucky. The insurance company ran a mile because I had handed the keys to the thief, effectively. Theft by deception is not covered by your insurance company, unfortunately. If you physically hand your keys to someone and they take your car, you've had it. the to add insult, because I had called the insurance company for them to tell me to go away, they then hiked up my premium the following year because I became a statistic they didn't like.

Sorry, please don't take offence to any of the preaching I post here and please take this with the good heart I am meaning this. I would like your Capris to be safe!

If you have a picture of your car with plates shown on here, just hold them up there for as long as you can and then remove the picture or take another picture with the plate obscured or take a different picture angle. Bit difficult with this thread as we are trying to show the plates we have, I realise. :D But this is important.

There are ways to identify your home address from your plate. I don't know how nor do I want to know. But I know that some people can an not for good reasoning. If that info falls into the wrong hands, at best, if your car does not reside near your home address, damage may still be done to your property with someone trying to obtain the keys. At worst, your Capri goes.

Just a helpful hint - that is all. Never show all of the plate or divulge all of the plate. As the police told me and I was also aware before they did advise me - there is a lot of info about you on the front and back of your car.

Keep your Capri's safe chaps!! :)

Wise words Daz :)
Nige Image

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5270
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Old car dealer stickers

Postby pbar » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:29 am

Daz-RSK wrote:Theft by deception is not covered by your insurance company, unfortunately. If you physically hand your keys to someone and they take your car, you've had it. the to add insult, because I had called the insurance company for them to tell me to go away, they then hiked up my premium the following year because I became a statistic they didn't like.


Car insurers are a disgrace, the way they are allowed to treat customers. The whole system needs a complete overhaul in my opinion.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5580
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Old car dealer stickers

Postby andyd » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:52 am

pbar wrote:
Daz-RSK wrote:Theft by deception is not covered by your insurance company, unfortunately. If you physically hand your keys to someone and they take your car, you've had it. the to add insult, because I had called the insurance company for them to tell me to go away, they then hiked up my premium the following year because I became a statistic they didn't like.


Car insurers are a disgrace, the way they are allowed to treat customers. The whole system needs a complete overhaul in my opinion.

:agree: Paul.
Much of the time it's been legalised robbery for years :shock: