MK3 Passenger door mirror glass

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

MK3 Passenger door mirror glass

Post by Brooksy »

Does anyone know of replacement glass for a standard passenger door mirror or even if the casing can be separated from the glass? The reflective surface on mine has part worn away (my fault as I got carried away with a polish and didn't realise how thin the mirror surface was) :crying:
Nige Image
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: MK3 Passenger door mirror glass

Post by Paul G »

Brooksy wrote:Does anyone know of replacement glass for a standard passenger door mirror or even if the casing can be separated from the glass? The reflective surface on mine has part worn away (my fault as I got carried away with a polish and didn't realise how thin the mirror surface was) :crying:
You can get stick on ones for the Capri that just stick over the old mirror. There's not brilliant though and your only chance for an OE one will be someone like Martin at Capri Gear or one of the traders.

Part number SRG 06 for the stick on one.
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Paul G wrote:
Brooksy wrote:Does anyone know of replacement glass for a standard passenger door mirror or even if the casing can be separated from the glass? The reflective surface on mine has part worn away (my fault as I got carried away with a polish and didn't realise how thin the mirror surface was) :crying:
You can get stick on ones for the Capri that just stick over the old mirror. There's not brilliant though and your only chance for an OE one will be someone like Martin at Capri Gear or one of the traders.

Part number SRG 06 for the stick on one.
Hi Paul

Cheers for the info and I did see that replacement/universal stick on ones are available online. I'll keep looking but at least I have a back up.

Nige :cheers:
Nige Image
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

The plastic trim that holds the glass in place does come out. It is held in by a series of tabs that need to push down to release. My experience is that it tends to break the glass in doing it but I might just be ham fisted! If you can get the mirror out safely you will sometimes find they are double sided.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Peter-S wrote:The plastic trim that holds the glass in place does come out. It is held in by a series of tabs that need to push down to release. My experience is that it tends to break the glass in doing it but I might just be ham fisted! If you can get the mirror out safely you will sometimes find they are double sided.
Thanks for the guidance Peter, will give it a try. :)
Nige Image