Drum brake cylinders and handbrake cable

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Drum brake cylinders and handbrake cable

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote:You need to release the adjuster and push the shoes inwards. Using a small screwdriver put it between the adjuster and the round post on the lever and just twist the screwdriver a bit and the adjuster should release and pull the shoes inwards - if not twist the adjuster screw with one hand and push the shoes inwards with the other.

When this is done make sure the shoes look like they are central in the backing plate - if they are cocked to one side that can make drum refitting difficult.

Oh this all brings back memories for me - I remember the first time I changed rear brake shoes on my own as a 16 year old. I was on it all day and in the end I lost my rag and put a lamp hammer through the rear light in rage! I don't suggest you follow my example however!

Paul.
Thanks Paul, I'll have to try this next time I gave up today after 5 or so hours - I was very close to smashing something as well!!
I've left the car up on jack stands so I'll give it a bash -literally- when it's not raining and I have some spare time again,

Cheers
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Last edited by D366Y on Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

This is how I've left them looking, so sort of back to normal, think I need to adjust the passenger side as well...?

Also, on Paul's picture of the 'adjuster arm' there is a part that goes through both shoes, does it matter how tight/loose this part is in terms of making the handbrake tight? The bit with the ridges on in my picture if it makes more sense...

Also I have topped up the brake fluid a bit to see if that stops the brake light coming on, and the connections on the top of the brake fluid reservoir are in good order - thanks Peter and Andrew for the suggestions!

ImageIMAG0190 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

ImageIMAG0191 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Can i be a party popper , the springs dan I would have got a replaced kit so all good as they do look a little past there sell by date . But saying that this is something I always did as they were cheap .

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1287782028

With his tight I can’t remember now as I am sure it was just right not tight or lose .

Your doing a grand job
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

I did think about changing the springs but to be honest I struggled enough to get those springs back on when I took them off, and I can't imagine anything worse than having to fight for several hours to get new springs on!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes with you on that Dan if something not broken then leave alone , something for nextime , trouble is once they get wet they get a rusty look straight away .
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Jasonmarie wrote:Yes with you on that Dan if something not broken then leave alone , something for nextime , trouble is once they get wet they get a rusty look straight away .
That's exactly it, I tried it once before and Jesus heck were they stiff!! I gave up and took the car down the road to a garage with only one drum on so they could sort it :lol:

I'd love to have a long term project car that I can strip back and build up with new parts and make it look all shiny and do it all properly, but I don't have the space or dosh!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Dan your doing a grand job mate and she’s used all the time so a real creadit to you ... :cool:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

In the pictures Danny I can't see anything wrong and the reason your drum won't go back on is that the adjuster (the bit with the ridges) is set in the fully adjusted position and it is in the gap between this and the little round thing also with ridges underneath that you have to put the small screwdriver and twist to open them apart. The springs should pull the shoes back in but they don't always so you may have to push them inwards whilst holding the adjuster apart.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote:In the pictures Danny I can't see anything wrong and the reason your drum won't go back on is that the adjuster (the bit with the ridges) is set in the fully adjusted position and it is in the gap between this and the little round thing also with ridges underneath that you have to put the small screwdriver and twist to open them apart. The springs should pull the shoes back in but they don't always so you may have to push them inwards whilst holding the adjuster apart.
Perfect, thank you Paul, will have a go at sorting it when I'm next out there, might as well check the other side while I'm at it too :)
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Just to bring this to a conclusion, I managed to get the drum back on and checked the other side - the adjuster arm and pivot were the culprits as they were stuck in place and needed freeing up. After doing this all seems back to normal and the brake engage properly and the handbrake appears to be working again offering resistance when I pull it up which it didn't use to so problem solved! (I think because I can't really take it for a test drive while the engine is in pieces)
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Well seven months was almost good enough to not have this problem again! :banghead:

The laser this time - I went to adjust the adjuster arms again on the passenger side this time, managed to free it off and fitted a new set of shoes as the old ones were running really low but I now can't get the shoes tight enough to fit the drums over the top

I've got the adjustment arm as upright as it will go but can't get it any tighter?

Any help would be great!
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

D366Y wrote:Well seven months was almost good enough to not have this problem again! :banghead:

The laser this time - I went to adjust the adjuster arms again on the passenger side this time, managed to free it off and fitted a new set of shoes as the old ones were running really low but I now can't get the shoes tight enough to fit the drums over the top

I've got the adjustment arm as upright as it will go but can't get it any tighter?

Any help would be great!
Hi Dan,

I'm not sure what you mean by the adjustment arm being upright?
Anyway, is the handbrake cable tight? If so slacken off the adjuster nut on the cable - roughly under the rear seat area.
If the adjuster mechanism is fully backed off you should be able to locate the shoes in to the cylinder pistons all the way. Looking at the second pic you posted last time back the little triangle shape piece with the knurled edge next to the piston should not be showing if the adjuster is free and working properly and backed right off. It will come out as the handbrake is applied.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Peter-S wrote:
D366Y wrote:Well seven months was almost good enough to not have this problem again! :banghead:

Any help would be great!
Hi Dan,

I'm not sure what you mean by the adjustment arm being upright?
Anyway, is the handbrake cable tight? If so slacken off the adjuster nut on the cable - roughly under the rear seat area.
If the adjuster mechanism is fully backed off you should be able to locate the shoes in to the cylinder pistons all the way. Looking at the second pic you posted last time back the little triangle shape piece with the knurled edge next to the piston should not be showing if the adjuster is free and working properly and backed right off. It will come out as the handbrake is applied.
Hi Peter,

The handbrake cable is loose and floppy, and the adjuster mechanism is fully backed off - I have learned from last time to check that first :lol:
I can't seem to get the pads far enough inside the drum to get the drum over the shoes. The shoes are fully located on the cylinder piston but the drum itself is hitting the brake shoe when I try to put it back on again?

Cheers
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

D366Y wrote:
Hi Peter,

The handbrake cable is loose and floppy, and the adjuster mechanism is fully backed off - I have learned from last time to check that first :lol:
I can't seem to get the pads far enough inside the drum to get the drum over the shoes. The shoes are fully located on the cylinder piston but the drum itself is hitting the brake shoe when I try to put it back on again?

Cheers
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but as there a different size drums on different Capris, have you got the same size shoes as fitted previously?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Peter-S wrote:
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but as there a different size drums on different Capris, have you got the same size shoes as fitted previously?
Fair point, I did wonder that as well!
They look identical to me, same size, only difference is the new shoes obviously have massive pads on them compared to the old ones wearing away
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I guess it's worth checking the part numbers of any new parts you have just in case. I bought a brake cylinder once from the local car shop, it didn't fit, turned out it was for a Granada as the part number they looked up was very similar.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote:I guess it's worth checking the part numbers of any new parts you have just in case. I bought a brake cylinder once from the local car shop, it didn't fit, turned out it was for a Granada as the part number they looked up was very similar.
I'll have a goose in a bit - Borg and Beck so I thought they would be decent..
What's the best way to check the part number and if they will fit? Would it be the same as what is currently on there as that's unbranded from CCI

Cheers
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

With mine, I just googled the part number on the box (along with 'brake cylinder' perhaps), and it showed as being for a Granada. I took it back to the shop and he checked and agreed so swapped it.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote:With mine, I just googled the part number on the box (along with 'brake cylinder' perhaps), and it showed as being for a Granada. I took it back to the shop and he checked and agreed so swapped it.
Nice one - I'll have a google then!